What Features Are CORE Users Missing?

I have used Core on Ubuntu as well as supervised on Ubuntu. I have also used HassOS on ESXI. Nowadays I use HA Core on Unraid (which is a docker container).

Would you miss anything? I believe not, actually I have much more flexibility overall with this approach. However like people already mentioned, you will have to do a lot of stuff manually. With Unraid it is easy to update docker containers without portainer but this isnt the case for every OS.

Personally I will advise the following:
If you want to focus on building your server around Home Assistant, want easy to install addons and preconfigured stuff for pretty much every addon you will use (note that there are a limited number of addons). Get Home Assistant.

If you want more control and flexibility I will suggest that you try Home Assistant Core. This will require you to install the addons yourself in one way or another, you will not have the supervisor tab and there will be no update HA button. They will not show up in the sidebar either (unless you create your own links, named panel iframe).

Conclusion: No you wont miss out on anything when running Core. However if you want a more hassle free install get HA (hass.io).

Dave, as long as the pull latest is selected yes

i also like using the duplicate/edit for beta testing, just change the image tag give a new name

1 Like

I always just use docker-compose for this and make sure I use whatever tag I am interested in. I know I use only about 5% od Portainer s abilities. I didnā€™t even know until recently how to deploy a new container with options in Portainer lol. Anywayā€¦ whatever works I guess.

I just use

docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant
docker stop home-assistant
docker rm home-assistant
 docker run --restart unless-stopped  --init -d --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=Pacific/Auckland" -v /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant:/config --net=host homeassistant/home-assistant

Sounds like a lot to type, but ctrl-r does wonders.

Yeah see all those settings for non ha-containers are in my docker-compose file. Why are you doing this with Home Assistant Supervised @nickrout - is this why you had issues with supervisor recently?

Maybe Iā€™m just old-school, but running the system in a virtualenv seems by far the least complex way to go, provided (and itā€™s a big proviso) that one is already fully comfortable with Linux administration. No need to learn docker, containers, supervisor, anything like that ā€” and Iā€™m free to run other things on the Pi both to support HA (appdaemon, scripts of my own that do things like pull printer ink levels whilst compensating for my printerā€™s broken SNMP implementation) and independent of it (Plex, a simple NAS system, security camera storage).

2 Likes

This is my other setup. I have three in all while i consider my options. That is the core one (on ubuntu on nuc).

Number 2 is a SFF box with debian + supervised - recently proxmox + hassos.

Number 2 is virtualbox + ubuntu + supervised on my windows10 laptop. It is obviously a toy because you wouldnā€™t use windows in all seriousness.

1 Like

I installed HA Core yesterday and I did not realise I would not have access to the add-on store. Now Iā€™m happy the way it is, but Iā€™d like to find an easy way to add mosquitto and node-red.

May I suggest? There should be a repo or at least a page with the most usual add-ons and the way to install them manually.

it dependsā€¦

did you install HA Core thru Docker or in a venv directly on the OS?

If you are running Docker (and if not you can still easily install it which is what I recommend) then installing those apps are fairly easy.

Otherwise Youā€™ll have to install those apps directly on the OS.

Iā€™ve installed Mosquitto on the OS years ago (and Eclipse-mosquitto as a secondary broker in Docker) and thatā€™s not too hard.

Iā€™ver never installed Node-red on the OS but itā€™s fairly easy in Docker as far as I can rememberā€¦

I installed HA Core with venv as it seemed to be the only alternative to installing Home Assistant (I learned that HA Core is not Home Assistant 5 minutes ago), with this tutorial: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

I didnā€™t know about venv before yesterday and if there is an easy way to switch to docker, why not?

Assuming you are on debian or ubuntu sudo apt-get install mosquitto

Not sure such an installation is ok in a virtual environment.

You come and ask for help, I gave you the answer.

Of course it is.

Thatā€™s exactly how I installed mosquitto years ago running in a venv on my RaspberryPi and then I installed it again the same way when I switched to a venv on a NUC.

Iā€™m a few weeks in on home assistant container and am now all in. Not sure Iā€™ll Every go back. This approach is so much more flexible. I was worried Iā€™d miss snapshots the most, but the lack of a snapshot service forced me to figure out how to get rclone up and running. I use node-RED to schedule regular tarball backups to Google drive, and Iā€™m using docker for just about every service besides rclone and cups, so recovering from a shit storm should be pretty painless.

Iā€™m managing two pi4ā€™s now all from portainer, and find that interface is so great for keeping it all going. Watchtower emails me with updates, do Iā€™ve been able to replicate that feature too.

Yep. Iā€™m sold.

1 Like

Have a look at duplicati, works brilliantly for backups

Works fine from outside the virtual environment, thanks!
But how can I check that it works from inside HA Core?
As I understand the logic inside HA, there should be services available such as https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/mqtt/service/
For the moment, I donā€™t have any MQTT service available.

I ran it for a while. I loved the interface but I kept having issues with the databases becoming corrupt. I couldnā€™t get a backup to run more than a few days before more issues. I eventually looked elsewhere and thatā€™s when I found rclone. Works great for my needs

have you configured the mqtt: integration in your configuration.yaml or (if available) thru the UI?

You presumably havenā€™t set up the mqtt integration from home assistant/configuration/integrations