What have I Missed?

Hi,

Firstly hi, and apologies for what may seem like a simple question! I am a complete newbie to this and have been watching various you tube videos in order to help me set up my Raspberry Pi 3+ with HassIO and Home assistant.
So far, I seem to have managed to get the Raspberry Pi running with Home Assistant. By that I mean, When I go to 'IP.Ad.dr.ess:8123 I get into Home assistant and it can see 2 x devices on my network (good so far).

But, as I read and watch more about the next steps such as setting up Samba and applying a static IP etc. I notice that a lot of people are talking about a file structure which I just don’t see.

I can’t see the ‘config’ files which I think I need to get to for the .Yaml Files?

There appears to be 2 drives setup relating to the Pi (or micro SD) - hass-boot (G) & Removable Disk (F). The F:\ I cannot access as it says I need to Format the disk (in Windows). In the G:\ the only folder there is a ‘overlay’ folder. The rest are individual files.

It looks to me like something is missing, but not sure what I’ve missed. The only thing I can think of is that, I never actually saw the ‘wait 20mins’ for the install of home assistant. But its clearly installed?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance

The Configurator add-on is probably the easiest way to view/edit the files. Click Hass.io in the sidebar, go to Add-on Store and click on Configurator, then click Install. Once that’s done, click Open UI to use it.

Edit: But that doesn’t totally apply to what you’re asking. Here’s a writeup on how to set a static IP.

Windows doesn’t read Linux partitions. Windows is useless for accessing the files on the sdcard, but you shouldn’t be accessing the files in that way. You should be using network based options. SSH, samba, or add-ons using configurator.

Thanks for your replies guys,

I have installed both the configurator and the SAMBA add on. I can now see the config.yaml file using the ‘configurator’ which is good. Although, I can’t seem to see anything through Samba? But i’m not sure I need this yet anyway.

I’m working on a little project with Sonoff switches and basically following DrZzs’ youtube instructions. Some things don’t look the same as what he has, but I may be missing something or there have been updates. Either way, I think my next step is to add Tasmota to a Sonoff and then see if the Pi can see it. Fingers crossed!

Once again, thanks for your help.