What is the best infrared hub for home assistent

Hi together,

i have a smal problem and hope someone can help me out here.
I would like to integrate my infrared devices like air condition, tv, etc. with my home assistent.
To mange this, i need of course a infrared hub. What is the best solution or hardware
i can use for that if it comes to integration in home assistent? At this moment i found two devices that promise to do what i need. broadlink RM4 pro and SwitchBot Hub 2. Do someone have some experiance with his devices and is there a better option i can use?
Thanks and best regards
Chris

The RM4 Pro has the advantage that it can handle RF as well - I have one controlling all the lights and sockets in the house very successfully.

IR is only line of sight, so it might be overkill to buy several RM4 Pros - the RM4 Mini is cheaper, particularly if you want to experiment before taking the plunge.

If you search the forum, you’ll find a number of people have had network problems with Broadlink - they don’t seem to take kindly to mixed 2.4 and 5 GHz wi-fi. I’ve never had any problems with my RM4 Pro, but my two Minis sometimes fail to connect briefly, even though I’ve set up a separate 2.4 GHz network.

I don’t have air conditioning myself, but my impression from reading in the forum is that IR control of air conditioning can be trickier than, say, of a TV.

thank you very much for the fast replay.
So if i get you right, the RM4 Pro is currently the safest choice if it comes to my requirements.
I will order one on amazon and play a little bit around with it.
One more time… thanks :slight_smile:

I second the recommendation for the RM’s, personally I have a half dozen Mini’s throughout the house. The Mini was better for my system because my IR/RF devices are spread around but they do work very well.

Very good point - @techchrix might wanna check if the broadlink even support your AC :warning:

A platform which supports many AC’s is esphome :arrow_down:

All the hardware needed is a ESP, IR diode & receiver which are also available pre-build for a few bucks only. :point_down:

The hard part nowadays is to find the ones which come with a nice case and are (still) esp based :face_with_monocle:

Do you happen to have a link or a name for the module presented in the pic?
Thank you so much!

LE: Got it.

ESP8285 IR Infrared Transceiver Wifi Wireless Module Remote Control Switch Development Learning Board ESP-01M

2 Likes