What is the difference between HA's zigbee integration and Zigbee2Mqtt from a user's perspective?

Hello everybody,

I might have just been unable to search properly, but I couldn’t find a topic that answers the following question: what is the difference between HA’s built-in Zigbee support (which I like a lot) and Zigbee2Mqtt. Mainly this is related to the support of different devices of course, since I figured that my smoke detectors and radiator valves, e.g., don’t work with HA’s integration, but work with zigbee2mqtt.

I am now - as relatively new user - asking myself. Am I putting my dollars on the wrong horse when sticking to HA’s zigbee integration (which it fairly “agressively” advertises by recognizing a ZB stick) and should rather use zigbee2mqtt, or whether the HA integration is the better choice and it’s to be expected that most devices supported by zb2mqtt will be supported quickly also by HA.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Maybe. I had my mileage with ZigBee (and even some matter) but now moved on to esphome WiFi devices and it is insane how easy, fast and reliable this stuff works (without any quirks!).

I learned it the hard way that building a new mesh network from ground is a PITA and foremost allows vendors to sell more stuff.

At this moment in time not one ZigBee/Matter device is left in our house but instead only rock solid esphome nodes that use the already installed WiFi infrastructure!

Biggest difference is that Zigbee2MQTT is decoupled from HA, so your Zigbee network does not go down while you upgrade HA.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. And how about device support? Seems Zigbee2Mqtt has larger database!?

Correct. Zigbee2mqtt supports more devices then ZHA, and support for new devices is added faster.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the information! :slight_smile: Then I might migrate to Zigbee2Mqtt. I hope there’s some automatic migration possible and I don’t have to re-add everything.

My take on it is at: ZHA Vs Zigbee2Mqtt - #3 by jerrm, along with other discussion.