What is the preferred way to rename z-wave entities?

Looks like what I had with the back-up. You don’t see them at all, or do you only show know / configured devices (lovelace does that i think) that might explain this? Some of my zwave devices had their name changed, some had not. No idea what part of the config is maintained in what file / DB, so I can’t be of a big help here.

I had the same problem after moving from Pi to NUC. Ended up rebuilding the whole Z-wave network. It did fix the issues but cost some time. But worth it, after trying all sorts of reboots, cleaning config files, excluding and including devices, heals, nothing worked.

I run HA under docker with mapped config folder on host machine. For upgrade just to be safe I create new folder on host and map to new docker container then copy all yaml files to this new folder. But now should I be copying .storage/core.* files to avoid loosing/changing entity names? If I don’t copy .storage files then HA changes entities name and breaks automation. Due to this each upgrade is becoming really bad and takes lots of time to fix it.
Any guidance will help a lot.
Appreciate it

Yes, you must copy everything in the config folder, there’s many other non-YAML files that you may need to copy too to avoid this.

1 Like

Thanks, make sense as there are few files which holds token or config of component. I was trying avoid system files like .HA_VERSION and .uuid etc. But yeah going forward I will prepare exclude list rather than include and may be exclude list will have at least .HA_VERSION file as I am not sure where the .uuid (looks like GUUID) is used.
Appreciate your reply, thanks

So whats the correct way now? Is it ok to change it in the UI with the new entity registry screen?
I added a new thermostat and its really hard to differentiate them because the have the same name but with numbers at the end.

Yes, you can also delete old/dead/removed sensors/nodes in there as well.

What is the TL;DR for a new guy. I have a handful of Z-wave devices added, with a lot more to migrate from ST.

Take the Aeotec Smart Switch I added (My 2 ecolink motion sensors are similar) - it has 7 entities once the inclusion process is done. I need to update each of those 7 to have a unique friendly name? There’s not a way for the friendly name to inherit to all the entity ID’s?

Easiest way I’ve found is the Entity Registry on the configuration page. And yes, you have to do each one individually.

1 Like

@jazzyisj - thanks!

This is how I do it when adding new devices:

1. Go to Configuration > Zwave menu

2. Add my new node/device via Add Secure Node

3. Select the new device from the drop down and hit Node Information, hit the cog in the upper right and rename.

4. Select it from it’s new name in the drop down.

5. Select an entity of the device and hit entity information button, then use the cog in the upper right to rename.

This is basically the approach I use. It is a pain to manually edit each entity, however the alternative of shutting down HA and editing XML files is much less appealing to me.

Only thing I do differently is, for the entity renaming I go through the Integrations->ZWave panel instead. There it gives you a view of all nodes and entities at once, so I don’t have to fuss around with all the drop down menus.

I use the drop down so I know the entity is associated with the device I’m looking at :wink:

That’s what the integration panel shows, unless I misunderstood you.

All entities are grouped with their node in a single card. If you click on the entity it gives you the same dialog with the cog to edit the name/id. You just can’t rename the node entity itself here. Either approach works well. :slight_smile:

Ya I meant all in one place to modify the whole shabang :wink: either location seems good.

I’m a long-time HA user and I’m getting frustrated trying to name a newly-added node. I’m running 0.91.2.

I can see the node under Configuration->Zwave->Z-Wave Node Management

But I don’t get a cog when opening “node information”. I don’t get that cog for any of my existing Zwave devices. I get the title, the info, and an X to close. Clicking on the name toggles the width of the card.

Same with finding the entity in the entity dev tool.

Is there another way to edit the zwave name?

The cog/gear icon seems to have disappeared recently. Not sure how we are supposed to rename.

it still exists on v90.

i would be surprised if that was intentionally removed. maybe a bug?

you can rename in “Entity Registry” under Configuration.

i like being able to edit there, but i don’t like that they removed the ability to edit from the popups.

The problem is that there’s now no place where you can both view information (such as value instance), and rename. This makes it really hard to tie the entity you’re renaming to what it physically is.