What is up with all these breaking changes?

Then suggest it as a feature request.

It is an add-on from the Hassio official Add-On Store.
Since Home Assistant is pushing the Hassio & HassOs installations and the use of said config checker to avoid breakage, yes, they should have tested & verified it.

I guess you don’t understand the Add-on system then.

You would be correct if it was in a community repo. It is in the official repo just like ssh & Samba,

It’s so weird. I have gone through all the issues here and I don’t see any that discuss the configurator breaking on a particular release.

Maybe the core devs don’t have time to sift through and test every possible add-on and expect beta testers to do that…you know, that whole community beta tester thing…

2 Likes

Problem found, PR submitted, problem solved. @anon34565116 not sure why you make such a big deal out of it.

4 Likes

It might be wise for those who do not want unintended breakage to skip the “.0” releases and wait for the “.1” patch, if possible. I may try that for a while, going forward.

This has been my method for over a year and a half.

2 Likes

This is my first version upgrade where I had some meaningful configuration to break.

This is not in any way a criticism of this method of updating because I do it exactly this way myself and have pretty much since the beginning so please take no offense but…

It seems there are three (or even four) different levels of testers - beta testers in the dev branch releases, post-beta testers (production testers?) in the official realease and post-post-beta testers (you, me and lots of others) who always wait until the later minor versions to be released that fixes all of the stuff that the early adopter production testers catch.

I’m thankful for the first two categories of testers since it “generally” allows me to do an eventual update that doesn’t break things in my set up or at least I know what to expect and how to fix it.

But I also know that puts me in the category of “not supporting the community”. But there are other ways of “support” that don’t necessarily involve testing the newest release so I’m OK with not doing that.

but again I’m also OK with those other testers (and me :wink:) coming here to “complain” that something broke or trying to understand why things are the way they are or making suggestions on how things can be better. Saying things like “we are in beta so why are you complaining about this free software” makes no sense from that perspective. How else is anyone who is involved in making this better from the coding/documentation side of things going to know that there is a problem if no one “complains” when something isn’t right. Being a bunch of “yes-men (or women)” doesn’t help anyone improve anything.

Isn’t this EXACTLY THE TIME to complain about the things that are wrong and then maybe offer suggested fixes (or not, too, because sometimes you don’t really know how to fix something. you just know “it ain’t right”.)?

I honestly don’t remember one thread where someone who is “complaining” about something makes a true derogatory remark about the developers. Most of the time it’s people being overly sensitive to any criticism at all taking offense where none was given and then the accusations of “you’re rude, abusive, ungrateful, whiny, etc” come out.

Maybe others need to take a step back from being offended by the “complaints”, try to take the “complaint” in the spirit that it was intended and realize that most of those people are “complaining” now so that you won’t have to later.

4 Likes

I would think our contributions in the forums are definitely helping to support the community.

The misconception is that it’s OK to COMPLAIN about things being broken. It’s not OK. You can discuss broken things, you can look for work arounds and fixes, you can report bugs (in the appropriate channels of course). COMPLAINING is not the way to get things done.

1 Like

yes, I agree. That’s what i meant by…

:slightly_smiling_face:

I believe that “complain” is in the eye of the beholder.

As long as the “complaint” is done in a generally respectful manner I say “no harm, no foul”.

Which is what I meant by…

:slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly, a lot of them aren’t.

I would maybe agree that “some” of them aren’t but I would definitely not agree that “a lot” aren’t.

Maybe it’s the “eye of the beholder” thing but I’ve maybe seen a few out of dozens of complaint threads that are “this is stupid, I’m leaving” type of threads. And I’ve chimed in on a couple of those myself saying that the best way to get help isn’t to be rude. So, yeah, I get it.

But I don’t think I’ve seen anything like that at all in this thread. Unless I somehow missed it.

The OP was edited. There was clear anger in the OP and in the OP’s github issue that was shut down by devs.

“anger” doesn’t per se mean “disrespect”. I saw the changes and a “#%@^%#@” sometimes creeps in when people are frustrated.

The OP realized the problem and fixed it. Good on them. At least they didn’t just double down on it and make it worse.

Being angry at the devs for their work IS disrespectful.

1 Like

not necessarily if the work of the dev(s) is indeed wrong, can be backed up by real examples and it seems that the dev(s) doesn’t care either because that is true (not likely) or because it was poorly communicated/missed (more likely).

and, again, he fixed it. I bet there have been times that we’ve all overreacted a bit and needed to walk back our comments. We are all just human.

I guess we’re crossing paths here, because I haven’t said that the OP CONTINUED to perpetuate the anger, or that he was doing anything disrespectful outside of the original post, which, I agree, they did fix.

Most of the conversation here has been a generalization about these types of posts.

Yes, but the perception of, and reaction to, these types of posts don’t necessarily comport with the reality of these types of posts and the OP was an example of that. most of these types of posts aren’t disrespectful. And of the few that start out that way most generally get corrected.

Thanks for the discussion but I think I’m moving on now. :slightly_smiling_face: