What is up with all these breaking changes?

Thanks for understanding. This post should have never made it to light in the first version.
I quiet quickly realized this and changed the inappropriate parts and then made it a valuable discussion for me.
I have learned a lot in this thread.

1 Like

Is there anywhere to read or participate in the discussion regarding this? All I found was the proposal to remove partial overlays (home-assistant/architecture#141) and the entirety of the conversion is essentially “we should do this”, “makes sense”, merged. The tidbit about preventing partial overlays thrown in at the end of The Great Migration also doesn’t clarify anything. It’s not actually necessary for the improvements discussed in the rest of the post.

It would be great to see some actual evidence of a plan to make things better/easier.

For the plan of allowing component repositories, I was thinking of home-assistant/architecture#124.

Preventing partial overlays makes software engineering sense because it avoids tricky integration errors that can happen when the base and the overlay slowly diverge.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the decisions made in home-assistant/architecture#124. They make perfect sense.

However, as I mentioned, the decision to prevent partial overlays wasn’t actually necessary as part of that. It makes sense in theory, but falls a bit short in practice. Reducing integration errors is great, but it also comes at a cost and I’m not sure all those costs were apparent and considered before the change went into effect.

Aside from just being more work to copy over all the unmodified code that is part of the component you want to make a small modification to, there is the issue that all of the unmodified parts that you now have to copy are now slowly becoming outdated. You’re missing out on bug fixes and improvements that may have been done in a backwards-compatible way and would have been included for free with each update using partial overlays. Now, however, your options are to either let them sit without any updates or recopy them with each update. If choose to update them, you’re in the same position as you were where your custom part may need to be updated to fit with the new versions of your unmodified copies. If you let them sit, you’re likely to eventually run into a situation where the API changes at the boundaries and you’re forced to update them anyway. Either way, you eventually end up in the same position as you would have if you just used a partial overlay to begin with.

To top it all off, isolating your changes by overriding the entire component was already possible before it was being enforced. It just wasn’t standard practice and, in my opinion, is more effort than it’s worth.

well, to be honest, that tool doesn’t live up to the expectations…
I always run it, and it never finishes with a warning. And yes, it does take a very long while to finish. Most of the time there is no report at all, so one thinks it hasn’t even run.

And believe me, I am up for some serious breaking changes coming from 84.3… Even my 87.1 system doesn’t report any warmings.

So please don’t bet anything valuable on the outcome of the Check Homeassistant Configuration

I don’t actually use it. I have it installed but don’t use it. (it’s not started)
I think one of the issues with it is that it checks against ‘latest’ by default and sometimes the json being read for latest isn’t the just released version and you would need to overide latest with the actual version number.

a yes, that might be true, never thought of that. clever…

would that simply be like this?:

{
  "version": "0.89.1"
}

btw just for the sake of it I gave it another try, and lo and behold, it gave me the shock of a lifetime… while I am on 84.3 with this instance, after about 20 minutes (see previous post) it shows:

please don’t let that be true, and et my instance be in 84.3 still…

clicking refresh renders a useless log:

so I would think this Add-on doesn’t live up to its purpose…> uninstall

did it finish running?

I believe the “Installed homeassistant==0.89.1” means that it has installed that particular version (latest) locally inside the addon to check your config against. It’s not installing it on your main system, but it needs to pull down the latest version to check against.

Come on guys this has went on long enough… I understand fustration with changes and honestly i dont always understand them but everybody here is able to contribute to the project. Lets keep it postive and get solutions. Nobody here from @baloob to myself wants this to turn south. We would all want to see this grow to its full potential.

7 Likes

yes I can confirm that is what happened. which was a huge relieve :wink:
thanks for explaining.

Ive let it run to an end though (I think) and never got anything else than the theme being displayed, without any comment, so no idea what would be wrong with that when upgrading.
gave it more than 45 minutes.

great bulbs

1 Like