What's the best way to tell home assistant that I'm home?

I’m using ddwrt router and it work flawlessly. HA know that I’m home for 5 sec. after wifi connection.

My solution was for my phone to self-report that I am home, or not longer home, based on WiFi connection.
For me, it works excellently.
I also detect when I am at University or work, so HA updates based on that info.

Infra: Android phone with Tasker, and HA with API calls.

I update a boolean variable based on the status change of my alarm system…

I use the nmap device tracker plus GPSLogger for my 2 Android phones and it works great. The lights I have set to turn on when I get home are usually on before I turn my car off.

I am using GPSLogger and Tasker which switches profiles when my phone is connected to my car or not. or if its powered.
So when I am in my car it updates more frequently, which works very well (in combination with google geocode).

Ah, OK… misread OP. Apple :smiley: Nevermind!

“Honey I’m home” has worked well for decades. :wink:

2 Likes

Could you possibly start up another thread with some details and share your tasker setup on this? I like this idea. I have been using zanzito for over a year and have been good with it, but am always interested in conserving battery life

Check out the ICloud3 device tracker device tracker custom component.

Some of its many features include:

• An accuracy of .01 miles (50 feet) depending on the GPS accuracy.
  • Monitors zone changes reported by the HA IOS App.
  • Uses the Waze route tracker to determine travel time from your current location to home.
  • Solves the GPS wandering problem that creates false zone exit triggers.
  • Creates and updates sensor entities containing device location attribute data for automations and scripts.
  • Creates a Dynamic Stationary Zone to save battery usage if you haven’t moved much (friends house, mall, doctors office, restaurant, etc).
  • Uses a variable polling rate based on distance, travel time and zone information.
  • Allows you to include/exclude devices by name or type.
  • Extensive documentation with sample automation, scripts and Lovelace cards to get you going.
  • and much more.

And by using the IOS App and iCloud3, you won’t need any other device trackers. No Owntracks, Nmap, ping or other router based trackers.

Guys, can i make the script that pings for my phone for example (static dhcp on home lan ) and when in succeeds after long period of time it keeps pinging more often, then if the ping drops and is stable turns light on?
I think that can be the best and easiest way to detect people home when everyone holds phone all the time .

it depends if you are just looking for the arrival change of state, or something more intelligent.

What happens if all the phones goto powersave/sleep and dont respond to pings for an hour. Then one wakes?

Don’t do this if you have an iphone, because iPhones drop their wi-fi connections to preserve battery. There is no way to turn that off. So your iphone will often be seen as away as it cannot be pinged over wifi.

I’ve had 100% success for about 9 months now with my presence detection for both my Galaxy note 9 and my wife’s iPhone Xs. First, we use life360 (free version) on both phones, then I set up my life360 account in the HA config. I had to adjust the gps_accuracy to suit our needs to prevent false positives, but it’s pretty good at knowing when we’re home or walking around the property.
Second, we use the apps on our phones, for mine, I use ariela, for hers, the native home assistant iOS app. Both of us have no problems with battery life and can go 2+ days on a single charge if we’re not playing games or pintesting(my wife🤣).

For quickness of unlocking the door as we’re walking up to it, we are both set up with device trackers through our orbi router using the Netgear component. This component won’t mark us away if we drop from wifi, and I use NodeRed for that type of automation. The first one to detect us home kicks our “person component” into “Home” mode and at least 2 of the components need to list us as away before it will mark us away.

I attempted owntracks with ibeacons but we had too many false GPS positives that wifi and owntracks would determine us away in the middle of the night so I nixed owntracks and the beacons.

I also tried the Google home BLE tracker but didn’t have luck because of the spoofed Bluetooth Mac addresses.