What's up docker? How to keep your containers up to date

Hi @legolas08

Let me know if my answer on Github helps.

Hi @Buckeyes1995 ,

Iā€™m glad to see that you figured it out! :ok_hand:

@fmartinou I am using WUD for a while now, which I really like! :slight_smile:
All my containers with tags like ā€˜stableā€™, ā€˜latestā€™ etcetera are working perfect.

I have one question though. I am using a very specific docker container. Itā€™s declared as:

image: Package frigate-synology-dsm7 Ā· GitHub

Still WUD is telling me that there is an update available. I donā€™t think this should be.

Hi @Caros,

Thank you for your support :+1: .

For tags which are compliant with semver specification, you usually need to set a regex expression to filter candidates that wud must process.

The label to use on your frigate container is wud.tag.include.
You can find examples on the doc.

For your situation, the regex would likely look like ^v\d+\.\d+\.\d+.*$

2 Likes

Iā€™m trying to use a port other than 3000 (conflicts with zigbee2mqtt). When I establish the port at 3003 in docker-compose.yaml and check the logs it comes up at still trying to use port 3000. Any way I can change the port being used?

Hi @bgreet ,

You have 2 solutions.

Solution 1: Map the port 3000 from the WUD container to the port 3003 on your host machine:
version: '3'

services:
  whatsupdocker:
    image: fmartinou/whats-up-docker
    ports:
      - "3003:3000"

That means that your wud container will still listening the 3000 port in the bridge network but the listening port on your host machine will be the 3003

Solution 2: Change the port that WUD is listening (only interesting when using networh host)
version: '3'

services:
  whatsupdocker:
    image: fmartinou/whats-up-docker
    network_mode: host
    environment:
      - WUD_SERVER_PORT=3003

That means that your wud container will bind the 3003 port of your host machine.

1 Like

After the update to 2022.12.3 and WUD 6.0.0, is anyone else seeing Home Assistant override the sensor icons? They look correct under ā€œsettingsā€ ā†’ ā€œdevicesā€ ā†’ ā€œentitiesā€, but in a lovelace entites card (or glance card) theyā€™re all using the docker icon. I can override them in lovelace, but I didnā€™t have to previously. It seems like a lovelace issue; is it just me?

Iā€™ve just installed the WUD and I also donā€™t see the icons set. But I donā€™t see the icons anywhere: in entities list nor in the WUD device in MQTT integration.
When I view the mqtt info in the WUD device I see them set in mqtt messages so the autodiscovery is probably broken? Iā€™m on HA 2022.11.5 and latest WUD.

Also all entities are ā€œoffā€ = up-to-date but in WUD I see 10 pending updates using digest.

Shall I open an issue on github @fmartinou?

Thanks for awesome work with WUD!

Hi, @kschlichter ,

Starting from wud 6.0.0, sensors are updates and not binaries anymore.

These sensors are displayed by HA in the ā€œUpdate pageā€ with an external PNG image instead of their proper icon.

That being said, existing cards in your dashboard should not be impacted because you can still display the icons.

You can find additional information on this Github conversation

1 Like

Hi @palito ,

I would answer the same message as above:

Starting from wud 6.0.0, sensors are updates and not binaries anymore.

These sensors are displayed by HA in the ā€œUpdate pageā€ with an external PNG image instead of their proper icon.

Regarding the states, please notice that you have to manually clean up the old sensors, otherwise youā€™ll get all sensors twice (the old ones which wonā€™t be refreshed, and the new ones).

To perform the full cleanup and avoid any side-effect, you can follow the steps Iā€™ve described there.

Hi @fmartinou,
thank you for your time but Iā€™m afraid there is a misunderstanding. Iā€™ve mentioned Iā€™m a new WUD user, Iā€™ve installed WUD yesterday so I went directly to the latest version 6.0.0. Home Assistant nor Mosquitto didnā€™t see WUD ever before so I donā€™t have anything to delete. Iā€™m providing you with the feedback of the fresh adoptioner.
Iā€™ve done some research, then I found itā€™s too long to type it here in the community so I went to github and there I found fresh Issue exactly with the issue which I tried to describe here. So Iā€™ve deleted it from here and provided the suggested fix there: Update entity does not show update if use latest image Ā· Issue #191 Ā· fmartinou/whats-up-docker Ā· GitHub
So we can continue the discussion over there :slight_smile:
Thanks!

Thanks for the reply. It looks like it is indeed an issue with the entities card. The mushroom card and entity card are able to display the icon. For now Iā€™ll just use the icon: option for the entities cards. Thanks for all of your work here; WUD has been a great tool for me.

1 Like

Hi @palito

All right :ok_hand: .

I can see that you already proposed a fix on the Github; thank you very much!

=> Iā€™m going to integrate it on a dev branch to let users test it.

1 Like

Hi @fmartinou,
above in the discussion you wrote:

and Iā€™m dealing too with Frigate which is updating to tag cleanup_events-6877432-amd64 which I donā€™t want to.

So Iā€™ve applied below Labels to the Frigate compose. Iā€™ve started with the wud.tag.include which didnā€™t help so Iā€™ve added also the wud.tag.transform but that also didnā€™t help:

frigate:
  environment:
    - wud.tag.include=^\d+\.\d+\.\d+$$
    - wud.tag.transform=^(\d+\.\d+\.\d+)$$ => $$1

And Frigate got updated again few minutes ago:

22:37:50.437  INFO whats-up-docker/trigger.docker.primary: Pull image blakeblackshear/frigate:cleanup_events-6877432-amd64 (container=local_frigate)
22:38:57.621  INFO whats-up-docker/trigger.docker.primary: Image blakeblackshear/frigate:cleanup_events-6877432-amd64 pulled with success (container=local_frigate)

The issue is with that tag - it doesnā€™t work and container doesnā€™t start - I get error 400 when I manually try to start the container. Also WUD didnā€™t start the container:

22:39:04.595  WARN whats-up-docker/trigger.docker.primary: Error when starting container frigate (container=local_frigate)

May I kindly ask you for advice?
Thank you so much! :pray:

Oh and on that topic I have one more question, maybe feature request: when WUD is unable to start the container can it revert back to the tag from which it was updating from and mark the warning in WUD GUI and maybe in some new MQTT topic which we would be able to watch with Uptime Kuma MQTT monitor and see in Home Assistant? Beacuse WUD is now happy with the update without any warnings in GUI or in the Home Assistant entities:

Thank you very much!

Edit: Iā€™ve done some edits to the Frigate compose (Portainer stack), Iā€™ve added - wud.watch=false but Frigate was again updated. It seems to me that the Labels are not read from container by WUD. But I donā€™t see any messages in the WUD log and I didnā€™t find a way to change log level to debug in the docs. How can I troubleshoot this please?
Thanks!

Edit 2: Iā€™ve created #198 Labels are not processed on github with the labels problem. And Iā€™ve created enhancement request with #197 [Enhancement] Revert failed update of the container. Thanks so much!

Hi @fmartinou,

wondering WUD error when you update your container via portainer has not been resolved. This is quite painful since I have to fix all my docker via docker-compose manually and it will create an error on HA since it wonā€™t get the updated version or semver will total chaos.

This only happen if you update your container via portainer.

P.S. Happy New Year 2023 to everyoneā€¦

@fmartinou just a heads up, helave you seen Issue?

Hi @palito ,

I just commented on your issue Labels are not processed Ā· Issue #198 Ā· fmartinou/whats-up-docker Ā· GitHub
(you mixed up labels with environment variables.)

1 Like

Hi @KingRichard ,

A fix is on the way :crossed_fingers:
See WUD did not show update and experience error Ā· Issue #150 Ā· fmartinou/whats-up-docker Ā· GitHub

Its fixedā€¦ thanks @fmartinou

Why are the docker updates not shown in the HA settings page like other updates?

Here is see only updates sensors from other devices but nothing from wud