What's your favourite ESP32 board? (# Best, good, cheap, quality, reliable)

Hi, the board is now available.

1 Like

The PowerFeather looks like it ticks a lot of boxes.

I’m keen to hear ESPHome user reviews.

I’d also love to see Adreas Spiess review this.

2 Likes

Hopefully Andreas comes across this board somehow :rofl:

2 Likes

Let’s put link then

https://www.powerfeather.dev/

2 Likes

I could have sworn I already posted a message on the relavant video to try to get his attention (he seems to usually view and reply to messages). Either I didn’t actually post it, or maybe it was flagged as promotional and removed. I tried again…

Probably won’t happen any time soon.

Either I didn’t actually post it, or maybe it was flagged as promotional and removed. I tried again…

Oh wow, thanks!

However, FWIW I myself do not see your comment:

The newest comment (sorted by newest) on the video was 5 days ago. Maybe it was the later?

I might also try getting his attention, at the risk of being… ‘markety’.

Probably won’t happen any time soon.

It’s ok, roundup videos like this might take a long time.

Edit: I also tried commenting on the video, and it too does not appear. Could be that the comments are set to be approved by Andreas before it can be shown.

1 Like

i have a lot problems with lolin D1 mini v4 USB-C. Gpios stop working,not working…
Best one for me are the v3 with metal shield and the PRO ones with antenna connector

Where did you buy from? The official store or elsewhere?

I finally got access to the FireBeetle 2 that I’d left logging temperatures since last November.

There were four DS18B20 sensors logging temperatures every 15 mins and saved to an SD card every 12 hours.
Temperatures ranged from +30C to -5 C.
It also logged its own battery voltage. (See attached).
Battery was a 500mAh LiPo.
So with just over 6 months of data logged, the graph suggests it would probably be good for at least another 6months.

So the FB2 seems good for low power projects.

3 Likes

The M5 stuff works really for me tbh. Flash with the bluetooth proxy and have never had an issue. Sometimes you need to clear the cache but thats about it.

I want to extend a bit on the topic here, but don’t want to hijack this thread.
So I opened a new topic. Maybe some of you can give some advice on my special case of finding a good ESP32 board for LiFePo4+Solar. Solutions seem to be rare. Even the PowerFeather mentioned here earlier is not suitable for LiFePO4 (per the docs).

1 Like

There is a new version of the ESP32-C3 Supermini with an Ipex connector for an external antenna starting to show up on AliEx. It’s called a Supermini V2 or Supermini Plus.

The chip antenna on the original Supermini boards is a bit deaf so this should be an improvement.

3 Likes

M5Stack StampS3 1.27mm pitch (23.5129.5mm) with a breakout board that gives you all the pins in a 2.54mm pitch. There is also the Grove breakout board. I like that it has 2 battery options but it has 6 grove.connectors. Would be good to learn for newer users though. Been playing around with the M5Dial which uses a StampS3. Not that good with LVLG but getting there (mostly based on other people’s YAML here). Their ceramics antennas actually work better than expected which is my issue with the XIAO, without the antenna it can’t be maybe 10ft away from a wireless router/access point. They are roughly the same size with the XIAO being extremely slightly smaller. StampS3 is same width, just a bit taller.

Also really like using their USB C female to.grove adapters to run power to some boards directly as it makes wiring somewhat simpler to hide by just running 2 wires from the power and grnd pin. It also has 2 data pins but those are specific to some m5stack products, like their new 5mp camera… They also have pretty good documentation on all their products as well as examples for ESPHome for some of their devices. Lastly, use their StampC3’s for BT proxy, no need to hide them or print a case with a 3d printer.

Compared to 30 pin ESP32 first generation. There naming convention can get goofy (Espressif’s). Just noticed the breakout board is exactly the same size as the DFRobot mmwave sensor.minus the four mounting holes on the sides.

We need a C6 version with the external antenna option. That would be very handy.

What’s odd is espressif makes a C6 chip with one, but nobody sells a board, I can only find the chip.

Where do you buy your modules ?? There a quite a few available on Ebay and Ali Ex but also from other suppliers.

Seeed Studio
Sparkfun

I was replying to the post above about external antennas who wanted the C3 model 4 posts up with an antenna. Looking back, that model uses one of the smaller chips like M5stack and Seeed use. All ESP32 boards have an antenna. The Sparkfun you linked is using the antenna built into the C6 model chip. Personally I think ceramic antennas do fine. FYI, if you look at those boards on eBay, there fake. At least ones claiming to be the C6-wroom-1u.The ones I have seen on there have a top PCB antenna. Not really sure what they are trying to pull. They do sell [S3 boards](https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/espressif-systems/ESP32-S3-DEVKITC-1U- N8R2/16162648?utm_adgroup=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax%20Shopping_Product_Low%20ROAS%20Categories&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_id=go_cmp-20243063506_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-16162648_sig-CjwKCAjw5qC2BhB8EiwAvqa41mwpvZsL8rJjSGaxeZ_GGX9mEZgq4yBtLH3jS5Mux-n_FarTBAFuIBoC2_8QAvD_BwE&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5qC2BhB8EiwAvqa41mwpvZsL8rJjSGaxeZ_GGX9mEZgq4yBtLH3jS5Mux-n_FarTBAFuIBoC2_8QAvD_BwE) but as you can see, no antenna on top because it’s meant to use an external antenna. I imagine they aren’t very popular or sell well.

I could see needing something at a far enough distance were an antenna is needed but at that point you should be using something like this. As I said 2 posts above, I prefer M5stack over Seeed because the antenna sticks out and is bigger than the XIAO’s ESP32. They work great but if you take the antenna of they lose connection after about 10 to 15 ft With the antenna they get the same reception quality as M5stack and I’m assuming most models that use a ceramic antenna, which is almost every model. Seeed is slightly smaller for that reason than m5stack, but it’s not by much

I do wonder how they ESPHome team will handle the ESP32-P4 now that development boards are available. Although they don’t have WiFi/BT but have other impressive features like deciding h264 video at 1080p30fps, 55 usable GPIO pins, pins for Ethernet among other things. Seems like you would have to do updates via USB/Serial Everytime. The dev board linked above uses a C6 for all radio communications. With that said, it took them a while to add the S3 and I from whatt I read it was a headache to add (I may be wrong about this just remember reading it somewhere) so it will be months if not over a year to be added if it is at all. It does look like an extremely significant performance boost though in that demo now that it has dual core 400Mhz processor and a 40Mhz processor for a lower power mode. The encryption keys are also generated on the chip and can’t be shown or stored in plain text to other software. Not sure if that would cause users to not be able to generate the API key.

They do have Ethernet though.

No we can’t, because your link is broken.