When and what is loaded for lovelace views?

I’m trying to find out how lovelace loads views. :slight_smile: Can I control what is loaded in each view, or when different views are loaded? For example, if I call one view (with three tabs), are all other views loaded? And how about the resources?

To be a bit more explanatory: I’m trying to build a HA remote control based on a Pi Zero W. As I want this to be a project, that could be build from anyone, I tried my luck with a very small built of RaspberryOS Lite and an installed Chromium (only the really, really necessary parts are installed, no desktop environment).

But to get the last out of it, it would be interesting to know when and what is loaded in lovelace. There surely is some optimization potential. Can someone give a deeper insight or point me to some documentation?

Thanks for all suggestions and help. :slight_smile:

Home Assistant Frontend | Home Assistant Developer Docs ← required reading… no really. READ IT. :smiley: There’s so much info buried in there. I still learn things about how the frontend works just by going back and re-reading the docs again.

To get a real understanding of how the frontend works, you should do a deep dive into Lit Element as a start.

As far as I know, you can’t really override the way views (which are basically panels with routes attached to them). However, you could use the External Bus to be able to have your own interface interact with Lovelace.

1 Like

Thanks for the links, I did some intensive reading last night - very, very interesting! :slight_smile: :+1:

Unfortunately this is not what I’m after. Inspired by the very nice and exceptional work that was done with the YIO remote (seen here), I thought it should be possible to make a low-budget version of it.

Nothing fancy like a specifically written UI (QT QML) or things like that. My idea was, reliable but not expensive parts, that are available to everyone, combined with out-of-the-box working in HA. As simple as possible, using only things, that are widely available and easy to install and use (eg. lovelace cards).
What I didn’t want was something to maintain. Replying and trying to help in a thread is one thing, but maintaining an “app”, nope, not right now and definitely not as a one-man-show… :smiley:

The YIO remote 1 was a little over 300.-€/$, that is something that dramatically lowers the WAF… The next generation is even more sexy, but I highly doubt it will be cheaper, as it won’t be a DIY project, it now comes assembled and ready to use… :wink: Not that I think it would be too much for that exceptional piece of work (art), but it’s too expensive for me and my use case. :astonished:

I think it would help, if I could control which lovelace resources are loaded, right now I’m pulling all my lovelace resources, just these JS scripts are killing my user experience with a Pi Zero W. And I don’t need them in that specific view anyway. Funny enough, I see the bottle neck in processing power (which leads me to the scripts), not in RAM consumption…

There are a number of other dashboard interfaces for home assistant.

hadashboard, hacc, I have been meaning to look at them all for a similar project to yours. They are pretty well scattered over the forum.

1 Like

That’s genius, thanks a lot. :slight_smile: :+1:

I tried HADashbard last night, seems to do a solid job. That’s a great start!

HACC unfortunately doesn’t run on arm… Any other dashboard you would know of? I did a search around the forum, but couldn’t find anything else, but that may be my search term(s).

EDIT: What happened to your project? :wink:

I can’t find the pi zero, it must be somewhere

Also see tileboard.