Where are the actual config files

virtualbox install (on win 10)
installed. samba, dnsmasq, file editor

how do i edit the smb.conf or dnsmasq.conf usually found in /etc
and gain access to the real filesystem.

The smb share shows 6 dirs all empty except for config
which has mostly empty .yaml files and a sqlite db which just has events and stats in it.
.storage looks interesting.

Those are the config files.

they are mostly empty on a brand new install until you actually start adding things to them either thru the UI for automations & scripts or manually via yaml config.

a lot of stuff you do (especially via the UI) will be stored in the .storage files. But those are not to be user edited or you can break your HA if you mess up the formatting.

True that and adding… the HA devs are trying heavily to make the overall HA config more UX friendly and less yaml heavy, bringing more and more into the GUI. For most usage/users this is fine but do note that if you want ‘special’ things like template-sensors…yaml is still needed.

I understand and thank you.
I just want to edit the configs of open source apps dnsmask and samba on the open source Home assistant.
Did i install it wrong?
should I have used my wsl install of ubuntu - happy with ms limits
or on a linux vm under virtualbox?
I saw a message somewhere about a pip install
I’d rather not learn how to manage and OS on top of an OS i already know AND Automation & scripting. aka double effort.
but I also want a fast install and not be apt’in for a day
the VM disk provided was a fast install and died at confiuration -

Thank you for you response
But my question was where are the configs for samba and esp. dnamasq

confiuration.yaml

Loads default set of integrations. Do not remove.

default_config:

Text to speech

tts:

• platform: google_translate

automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml

I understand and thank you.
I just want to edit the configs of open source apps dnsmask and samba on the open source Home assistant.
when i searched for DNSMASQ i got info for samsung tv’s
I figured there would be a dev mode in this open source product

“those are the config files” or is “.storage”
I configures in the UX a simple config for severl store downloaded app but nothing showed up “those config files”

Thank you for you response
But my question was where are the configs for samba and esp. dnamasq

Seems like a lot of hidden pieces for and open source product. And a lot of work to almost do what google home does.
I’m not trying to be an Ah
I have already read not to buy GE mytouch devices and I have 5 dimmers in my walls. (ok I put a sniffer on and can see what they are doing) Home depot
then I have led color controllers for indirect lighting devices from (magic home) Lowes/Home depot
Addon outlets (prime wire) Lowes / Home depot
Wyze cameras (Home depot)
Wiz/Phillips Bulbs (Home depot)
Foscam camera

wiz gets
after installing 1 bulb - where is this config file stored?
This integration does not support configuration via the UI. If you followed this link from the Home Assistant website, make sure you run the latest version of Home Assistant.

Open source means that the source files are available, not that you have the permissions required to edit the running OS.

Check github for the source files.

Discovered devices have their config saved in the home assistant registry, which is not supposed to be user editable. It is located in /config/.storage.

You can’t. Addons expose the configuration options shown in the configuration tab of that addon, that’s it. Not every option the software provides is available, this is intentional. Addons try to minimize the options exposed to users and make the best choice for them whenever possible. This obviously means they don’t work for everyone which is fine and expected.

If you need more control then the addon currently provides you have a few options:

1. Make a Feature Requests asking for support for the options you need that aren’t available. Or even better, make a PR
  2. Make your own addon with the options you need
  3. Don’t use an addon and deploy the software separately on another VM or machine. Addons are essentially just pre-configured docker containers. So its always an option to build or find your own images and deploy your own containers elsewhere.

EDIT: Well I suppose for samba and file editor only the first two apply. Since the intent is to expose the files of HA they kind of have to be in the same VM.

Sorry, I missed that you weren’t talking about the HA config files but instead system config files.

if you are SSH into your system you could take a look at this I am not sure if this is what you are asking but it may get you on the path you are looking for at the same time it can break your system highly recommend you prepare for a broken setup

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-on-raspberry-pi-with-touchscreen-kiosk-mode/151388

Thank you for your response.
Regarding dnsmasq
in the documentaion sample

what is the use of the "-" ?
how can multi host names be used?
   192.168.1.2  host1.local host2.local host
 cache-size=  ?
is defaults: the same as server=?
is forwarders: domain: the same as local=?
    what is server: if not itself?
how to specify DHCP?
   dhcp-option=option:
      dhcp-option=option:router
      etc etc

CC - Mike et al
I think my confusion here is you have a page Installation - Home Assistant
showing the best method being the first column. So I guess I though I could not get all the features any other way.
Not taking the time to RTFM i jumped on it.
It is simple and I was able to configure most of my devices.
The exception being the GE/jasco switches and some other nuances that would have me understanding how the product itself worked and getting them work. Then to share this with the community.
My goal here is to be able the have automation with voice commands for home control, and music from a local library - without an internet connection. My current router doe not have a local host file.(maybe that should change)
So when I saw Home Assistant offers dnsmasq …
besides scrubbing my hopes with dnsmasq

Do you or anyone else have a comment about “no internet connection”

Trenton,
I installed the of method Installation - Home Assistant
which has limitations (understandably).

finity,
what does your installation look like. which option did you choose?

This is not as complicated as it’s being made out.

If you want Home Assistant to work reliably, and without having to keep individual bits of operating system up-to-date - then you use Home Assistant OS, which manages everything for you, at the cost of not allowing you to fiddle with OS files (generally).

If you want to mess with OS files, you need to use Home Assistant Supervised, which requires you to also take care of keeping the underlying OS up-to-date, but also means you have full control of the OS.

Oh,
by the way how have you implemented the application?

Thank you Andrew

Is the .vdi the same for managed and super?

Create a Debian virtual machine. Make sure it is up to date.

Then follow this:

I use a HA Container install method on a Debian 10 OS.

I have zero complaints.

Tho I will say that one of the biggest complaints I had about a Supervised install method has been mitigated since they will be implementing an optional auto-update of the Supervisor. I think in the next release you can choose to only install the updates manually at your convenience.

That minimizes the chances of waking up to a broken HA because of a failed supervisor.

I doubt I will switch but at least that bit is moving in the right direction finally.