Where did ssh go?

UPDATE
Installed Debian, then Home Assistant.It went pretty well, but I may reinstall both because I was not too methodical in my installation process.

I never could boot from the NUC image of Home Assistant.

One weird thing noticed after the install. Supervisor-System Core shows the current version as “core-2021.2.3”
In the add-on store, the Z-Wave JS add-on won’t install:
“You are running Home Assistant 2021.2.3, to install this add-on you need at least version 2021.3.0b0 of Home Assistant”
This warning appears in a couple of add-ons, neither of which I plan to use, but it’s curious that an add-on wants a Home Assistant version that is not yet released.

Just regarding ssh…
You should be able to access the host on port 22 via open-ssh that is normally installed with Debian. I change that to a different port number BTW.
When you install the addon for ssh & web terminal from the community store, you would NOT set that to listed on port 22 as well… Pick something else for that. I use 622 for that one.
Putty, WinSCP etc will all work fine with both ssh’s installed.

Use the ssh on the host for debian updates etc and the ssh on the addon for using the HA cli etc…

1 Like

Hi @DavidFW1960,

I just migrated my Intel NUC to Debian 10 HA supervised install, no particular issues. I didn’t install openssh on Debian because I read it would lead to an “unsupported” status of HA, is this still true? Obviously I’d like to have ssh access to the debian os in order to properly maintain it. I’d like to maintain the “supported” status of the installation.

Thanks for any advice.

I threw my hands up from the incredible matrix of routes to install Home Assistant. I bought another NUC and installed HassOS. Done. Now, I dare HA to tell me that I am using an unapproved OS.

2 Likes

I did the opposite: installed HassOS on an old NUC7i3BNK, everything fine for some time, then I updated the BIOS and HassOS didn’t boot anymore. So I then went with Debian 10 supervised, to have more control on the OS but still be officially supported. Let’s see how it goes.

If it doesn’t work, next move will be to buy the Blue when it’ll be available. :slight_smile:

I would install ssh. HA doesn’t complain about that or make it unsupported. Would be almost impossible to maintain Debian without ssh.