Whereis hass

Hi all,

A Raspberry pi and Home Assistant newbie here, so be gentle!

I am trying to set up a service to launch Home Assistant on startup as the Home Assistant site, and a number of people on here have managed to successfully do. however, i am falling at the first hurdle, for some reason whereis hass is not returning the path for me to validate the service information, instead i just get a blank response. See below:

> pi@Home-Assistant-Pi:~ $ whereis hass
> hass:

I have tried rebooting, but to no avail. I am sure this is something simple that i don’t quite understand yet, so any help is appreciated.

What method did you use to install Home Assistant? hass will be in different locations depending on how you installed it. If you used the all in one installer it will be in
/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/

I used the all in one installer, but i am trying to set up the autostart as it says in here. The service seems to fail, and looking into other people’s issues, it seems the reason it fails is because the route to hass is incorrect. Ive tried:

• /usr/bin/hass
  • /usr/local/bin/hass
  • /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/ (as suggested by zarthan)

any ideas what this should be set as to make this work?

The all in one installer should have enabled autostart by default.
Try

sudo systemctl restart home-assistant.service

ps -ef |grep hass should show

/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/python3 /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/hass -c /home/hass/.homeassistant

Don’t forget to add “hass” to the end of the path too. My /etc/systemd/system/[email protected] looks like this:

[Unit]
Description=Home Assistant
After=network.target

[Service]
Type=simple
User=%i
ExecStart=/srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/hass

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I had a similiar problem (Raspberry Pi, Raspbian Jessie Light, Manual install of Home Assistant). I found the HASS path to be

/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/hass

Similiar to others suggested, but it looks like manual install uses “homeassistant” rather than “hass” in the path

Dit you guys get it working? With whereis I don’t get a path, but I know it is: /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin
But it’s does’t work:
sudo systemctl --system daemon-reload
sudo systemctl enable home-assistant@pi
sudo systemctl start home-assistant@pi
After the last command I don’t get any response, no confirmation and no error and it;s not working.
Someone the same problems?