Which is the best? Zigate USB v2 or Sonoff v2 ZBDONGLE-E

It’s hard to compare, the specifications seem different.
Have you compared the performance of the 2 keys?

Thanks,

I don’t think either chip has a clear advantage just looking at the spec sheets. They are rivals of the same generation.

For z2m, get the “P” and don’t look back. The TI chipset is what the primary z2m dev uses (and maintains the most popular firmware for). The TI chip will likely always be first among peers for z2m.

For ZHA, the opposite is true. The SI Labs chip used in the “E” is the same chip Nabu Casa chose for the Yellow and upcoming Skyconnect USB stick. It will likely be first for ZHA and HA Thread developments.

If you’re unsure about ZHA/z2m, get the “P”. ZHA support for the TI chip is excellent.

The SI Labs chip is still “experimental” for z2m.
I expect the popularity the Yellow/Skyconnect status will bring to the SI Labs chip will help spur development and bring parity between the two chips to z2m. There is some evidence of movement already with just the Sonoff “E” release.

My ultimate advice would be to get both sticks and experiment with ZHA and z2m side by side for a while. After you decide which zigbee platforn to keep, the spare stick can be re-flashed to make an excellent router for you’re zigbee mesh.

Personally I use the “P” for both z2m and ZHA. Both nets have been rock solid.

2 Likes