Who have more than 150-200 devices and what it's like?

HASP is Home Automation Switch Plate. And it is FANTASTIC.
I have four now and planning to install a fifth one later this week.

It is basically a touch screen interface for Home Assistant.

How did you get the domain counts?

make this card:

type: markdown
content: >
  Domain | Count 
    :---|---:
  {% for d in states | groupby('domain') %} {{ d[0].replace('_', ' ') | title }}
  | {{ states[d[0]] | count  }}

{% endfor %}
title: Domain Counts

Thanks. It works. (I have 717 entities).
(I didnā€™t know that I could do this in Markdown).

1 Like
alarm_control_panel: 2
automation: 246
binary_sensor: 496
button: 91
camera: 4
climate: 17
cover: 46
device_tracker: 21
fan: 3
group: 18
humidifier: 1
input_boolean: 11
input_datetime: 3
input_number: 28
input_select: 2
light: 33
media_player: 29
miele: 1
number: 19
person: 4
plant: 5
remote: 3
scene: 3
script: 178
select: 77
sensor: 910
siren: 16
sun: 1
switch: 81
timer: 13
update: 18
vacuum: 1
water_heater: 1
weather: 5
zone: 18

Everything is running smoothly, UI is reasonably quick and responsive, even with heavy customization. The processor peaks are from running Visual Studio Code on the same RPI4:

Stuff actually inside HA:

• 30 Philips Hue Smart Lights
    • 17 accessories: wall-modules, Movement sensors, Dimmer switches
  • 1 Nanoleaf
  • 1 Doorbell
  • 1 Security Cam
  • 1 Security system
  • 7 Contact sensors (Door/Window)
  • 2 Google Smart Speakers
  • 3 Google Hubs
  • 3 Nest Protects
  • 3 Fans
  • 4 Curtains
  • 15 Random Zigbee devices (Smart plugs, water sensors, motion sensors)
  • 1 Fridge (eeh, it kinda came with Wifi optionā€¦ )
  • 1 Washingmachine
  • 1 TV
  • 1 IR Blaster for non-smart devices
  • 12 Sonos Speakers (just a the home cinema setup is 4 devices)
  • 2 Chromecasts
  • 4 Tablets
  • 5 Smartphones
  • Other Raspberry Pi (Pi Hole)
  • 1 NAS
  • 1 Robot Vacuum
  • 1 Energy monitor
  • 1 Smart Thermostat
    • 6 Smart radiator buttons & one satellite for the thermostat
  • 1 IPP based printer

So a little under 130 devices atm I think. Not sure I counted them all correctly.

My HA setup doesnā€™t really see any pressure. My Wifi & Zigbee Network does. But this may also be because itā€™s just very crowded with other networks where I live also. Plus with a family of 4 everything is used a lot.

There are some devices I would love to add like gaming consoles.

The main thing I find important for family acceptance is that most automations are not ā€˜in the wayā€™. Meaning they either seem ā€˜invisibleā€™, act as reminders (calendar integration and such) or can be overwritten either with a physical button or by a setting (holiday mode toggle, etc.) and that nothing is actually critical. The house should function even if HA or any other system stops working. That last part I did for the lights kinda of messed up going for the Hue Wall-modules. If the Hub ever breaksā€¦ itā€™s gonna be dark.

That last part goes the same for me. Most lights are z-wave, tied to the remotes with associations, so it is not reliant on HA. Everything can be controlled if internet is down or HA is offline. And I have a great resentment for ā€œComputer says NOā€, so automations must rarely ever do unwanted things and if they do they can be overridden using the original controls. But still 256 automations and 178 scrips.

2 Likes

I recently realized I messed up here with Hue. Adding Wall-modules to critical lights in all major rooms. If the hub ever dies, we cannot control those lights anymore. Being non-reliant on the internet was my main concern. Forgetting the actual hardware dependency on the hub.

Yeah, it can take a bit of tweaking but its really important. I made an automation that turns the lights off in the living room if the luminescence is high enough as somehow the kids always forget those (being up way earlier then us in the weekend). Worked fine until it was a bit of a darkish day and my wife wanted the lights on to read. And computer saidā€¦ NO (itā€™s light enough). Now this automation can be overwritten. One example where I learned this :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest, I think a hue hub is much more stable then Home Assistant, and probably easier to replace quickly. So I would consider that to be an acceptable risk (until it breaks and WAF suffers :smile: )

The days of HA being unstable are long gone for the most part.

Prior to upgrading to HA version 2022.6 this was sitting on nearly 5 weeks.

Oh, and itā€™s a reasonably sized setup too.

Iā€™ve also had no serious unstability problems, so I agree. But frequent updates from community driven software and wildly varying configurations among users do pose a risk. And so does my tinkering. That is in no way saying anything bad about the devs, it is just hard to promise things wonā€™t break from time to time. I embrace the changes, but I do not close my eyes to the possible consequences.

For example, for me the Deconz addon/integration currently has problems setting up the listeners for zigbee remotes during startup. It is a race condition or timeout because thereā€™s too much going on during a reload and reload takes a while.

So for some time, zigbee buttons with automations attached didnā€™t always work. First I blamed it on zigbee instability. Until I found out what was the cause and that as a workaround I could automatically reload the automations a minute after boot to fix it. Iā€™m waiting for a real fix, but it is hard for the developer and I seem to be the only one who noticed.

Yeah Hue is stable. But but by replacing the physical wall switches with modules if the hardware breaks I cannot turn the lights on and off without rewiring. This is something I failed to consider. No backup for a kind of critical function in the house.

Sadly you cannot export the setup like with HA to quickly setup new hardware.

Thought Iā€™d update where Iā€™m at. Still adding more every day.

At least for testing I target ~4000 entities. Everything should scale past that fine on reasonable hardware (no rpi3 on sd cards). If it doesnā€™t we generally try to optimize it.

The major challenge is custom components and older legacy integrations that donā€™t follow standards that can slow down the whole system. There is only so much we can do to guard against individual integration design decisions that donā€™t scale while providing integration flexibility.

I switched from SmartThings to Home Assistant several years ago because I had so many devices I maxed out SmartThings.

I live with my wife and son who has never known a non-smart home.

The script doesnā€™t tell the whole story as some of the devices can be virtual, butā€¦ I have 333 physical entities in Home assistant.

AppleTV / HomePods = 16
Broadlink = 3
Ecobee = 5
ESPHome = 5
Ford Vehicle = 1
Govee Bluetooth = 5
LaMetric = 2
Lifx = 59
Phones/Watches = 5
NuHeat = 2
Reolink Cameras = 1 in HA, 16 not yet (running Blue Iris)
Rheem Water Heater = 1
Shelly = 36
TP-Link = 5
WLED = 3
Xbox = 2
Z-wave = 73
Zigbee = 109

I still have about 100 zwave and zigbee devices to install that I got on sale (for cheap).

Here is the output of that script.

Automation

Binary Sensor

Button

Camera

Climate

Cover

Device Tracker

Fan

Group

Humidifier

Input Boolean

Input Datetime

Input Number

Input Select

Input Text

Light

Lock

Media Player

Number

Persistent Notification

Person

Remote

Scene

Script

Select

Sensor

Sun

Switch

Timer

Update

Water Heater

Weather

Zone

Holy crap, man! Thatā€™s a huge list of stuff. I thought my house was relatively large and automated (Iā€™m still not totally done, but getting closer every day). I cannot imagine what your place is like! Lol

Thatā€™s a funny one:

afbeelding

:smiley:

1 Like

Input helpers are key to something this big. I donā€™t like to hardcode anything in scripts and automations so for example, based on the time of day, my cabinet lights run at different levels. A lot of my lights are LIFX so I also setup color temperature by time of day also. I like to have all of these values in the UI so I or my wife can update them without having to edit an automation or script.

I have 800+ Entities

I still have a heap of hardware to install and a backlog of automation coding to do: