Whole home audio recommendations

Cheers

Thanks. Thatā€™s perfect. Sometimes itā€™s hard to figure out the right sequence of http and port etc. Now I can finish my ā€œAddams Familyā€ doorbell.

1 Like

Node red automatically finds it for your in case your chromecast devices are listening to different ports

Thank you so much for the suggestion here I really like it. Sorry its taken so long to get back to you I just saw the post and been super busy. Any information you can give about your setup would be awesome. I actually happen to have a couple of RPIs lying around not doing anything at the moment so it would be great to experiment with see if its something I want to go with. I will still need to pick up a zoned amp here but the more I play around with the chrome casts they just dont quite do what I want. So this may be a viable solution. Thanks again!

What exactly do you want to know about my setup?

Burningstone, Itā€™s exactly that Iā€™m looking for the Multi-Room audio system to my house. Can you please explain how we can make it work the way you have?

I just rebuilt the software part completely and Iā€™m now working on documenting thw whole thing, it might take a few more weeks until I oush everything to my repo.

2 Likes

@Burningstone Good to hear. I will be following your repository. Thanks.

This sounds awesome and something I want to explore. Do you have any pointers on how to actually connect the Pi to the A/V Receiver? I donā€™t see how to connect it and be able to have all these controls to individual rooms, etc.
Appreciate any path in the right direction!
Thanks

Take a look at my repo here. I started to document the whole setup there, but it will take some time until I get it finished, as Iā€™m currently waiting for new hardware to arrive and have some other more urgent matters to tackle at the moment.
I suggest reading up on it a bit and then you can always ask me questions here or via PM and Iā€™m happy to answer them.

2 Likes

@Burningstone Iā€™m planning to use in the Room Audio Devices the Raspberry Pi Zero 1.3 with the Waveshare ETH/USB HUB HAT to use it with ethernet. Do you think will work well with ethernet?

Yes, wired is always better than wireless.
In my case wireless works perfectly fine for synced music.

Thank you. It was just to make sure before order all the hardware needed.

1 Like

How we can control the volume? The amplifier that Iā€™m intend to use connected to the Audio DAC SHIM has only one analogue variable resistor for the audio level. I set to the maximum and after in the software we control the volume of the output of the Audio DAC SHIM connectod to the Raspberry pi Zero?

Yes, you control the zonesĀ“ volume in software. Normally, the pi itself should handle this

Ok. Itā€™s good to know that.

I discovered today that we are able to buy just one unit of Raspberry Pi Zero per order. :frowning:

Maybe itā€™s better to buy Raspbery Pis 4 2GB.

The shops i checked had this restriction for zeros and zero wĀ“s, not for zero whĀ“s (the difference is, the headers are already soldered), maybe try ordering a couple of them.

The Pi 4ā€™s are overkill if you only want to listen to music.

@Burningstone How you made the part of TTS work?

Is there any possible integration with Echo Dot Alexa? Or it has to be a separated system to receive voice commands?

I have a mopidy instance just for TTS. So when I want to play TTS, I choose the mopidy TTS media_player as a target and switch all the snapclients to the TTS source.

TTS and voice control are two separate topics. I donā€™t have voice control and I donā€™t think I will implement it anytime, because where I live (Switzerland) people speak a very ā€œspecialā€ form of German and there is no (at least not cheap or accessible) service/software that recognizes this language in an accurate and reliable manner.
With Alexa there is a custom component to use it as a media player and maybe you can do multiroom with this, I really donā€™t know a lot about Alexa. My setup uses Mopidy and Snapcast and Alexa canā€™t be used in this setup.