Why Home Assistant doesn't have an external API for integrations

But let’s look at HomeKit, it is very comfortable for users, but it close. It will be nice if HA will make open opensource protocol, like HomeKit, but open. And everybody will implement it. We need one open protocol, not 1600 different API for each devices. If you think about ecology, how much electricity will be spoiled by programmers for 1600 different APIs.

Why do you say it’s “closed”?

Apple Developer - HomeKit Documentation

Protocol is not at GitHub, so, users can’t implement new features at protocol.

When it comes to an API, ‘too many cooks can spoil the broth’.

I very liked the idea. I maintain 3 different custom integrations, i will take a look at mqtt way of integration

1 Like

What about Matter? Is that going to change the landscape?

What Apple uses underneath the fancy UI is not Linux; it’s FreeBSD.

1 Like

I think that HA could offer an API for Locations. Say I have a home and a vacation home. It would be nice to have a summary app that uses an API to talk to both locations. It lets me see and do some things. But I can also connect directly to one location for more details. Another use case could be if I lived in an apartment building and wanted to help everyone who was interested in automating their apartment. I think there would be lots of use cases for this.

I suppose what I should really do is get to work on it and submit a pull request.