Why is it so complex and difficult to install and maintain HomeAssistant?

@DominiqueGEORGES so we are close :smiley:
Vic20(4kb)–>Comdore128(128kb)–>Amiga(10mb)–>i386–>etc

1 Like

Of course it’s possible.

Respectfully, your many misguided opinions in this thread demonstrate you don’t have a basic understanding of Home Assistant. Do yourself a favor and read the documentation, at least the Installation section.

Good luck.

Taras,

after lot of retries, I have been able to upgrade it.
All the modules seems up to date right now.

But yet, I’m not able to discover my RaspBee or Zigbee dongle.
And restart time is incredible long.

I will thus try a new install following advices of KingRichard (Debian, …)

Kind regards,
Dom

1. Ensure your Zigbee dongle is disconnected.
  2. Go to Supervisor > System > Host, click the overflow menu (three vertical dots) and select Hardware.
  3. Make a note of all the tty devices.
  4. Plug in the Zigbee dongle.
  5. Go back to the Hardware menu and compare the list of tty devices with the original list. One of them will report information about the connected Zigbee dongle. What you want is the DEVNAME (like /dev/ttyS0)
  6. Leave the dongle in place and restart Home Assistant.
  7. When you configure the Zigbee integration, it will ask for the dongle’s port and you will supply the DEVNAME.

I’m new to Home Assistant. My prior experiments were with HOOBS, Hubitat, HomeSeer, and probably other things. Again and again I ran into issue after issue around integration across device platforms. I’d heard that HA was the ‘hardest’ of them all.

My experience could not be more positive so far. In a single day I was able to integrate Z-wave with homekit, and flawlessly. The biggest ‘issue’ I’ve had is the R-Pi board I’m running getting stuck in inclusion mode and needing to reboot.

Your experience is different, I understand, but mine could not be better. Also, the discord community is very helpful. So now I need to find a purpose for a few hundred $$$ in wasted ‘other’ automation boxes.

1 Like

FWIW, if you wish, you could continue to use Hubitat Elevation as a Zigbee/Zwave hub and have it communicate with Home Assistant via a custom Hubitat integration.

Alternately, you can recoup some of your investment by selling it. I’m not sure if and how you can transfer Homeseer’s license but I believe you can for Hubitat.

I think Murphy is playing with me.
I downloaded the “tested Debian version” for my Raspberry PI4 - 8GB.
Flashed my 1TB-SSD with it.
Adapted the wpa_supplicant.conf file and also created a SSH empty file.

Starting boot of raspberry => loop on “running /scripts/local-block”

Why do I need to give all my time on configuring my tools and not to simply use them ?

Kind regards,
Dom

I downloaded the latest “Home Assistant OS”.

It requires 2 IP Addresses using 2 different MAC addresses.
My Wifi is protected on MAC address filtering, …

Where can I find or fix the MAC addresses used by HomeAssistant OS ?

Kind regards,
Dom

What nonsense

So most likely 90% of your issues are using WiFi for a server.
Also why do you use MAC filtering? That increasing security is a long dead myth. Turn off MAC filtering, reboot the Pi and you will see the IP address and MAC address and if you must you can then add the MAC address to the filter list.

1 Like

And if you really insist, you can turn it on again once you added the MAC to the filter…

I’m running HA on their “blue” device. About 60 total zwave/zigbee devices. Very stable and easy to maintain ONCE you get everything setup to your liking (my wife can attest to that part!).

The I/O performance of the SD card sucks, just because microSD cards have crappy performance. For relatively few dollars, get a USB3 / UAS (USB Attached SCSI) and plug it into one of the two USB3 ports on the Raspberry Pi4. These days, you can boot off USB devices, too. This should improve the I/O performance considerably.

As others suggested, I’m using an fanless “NUC”-style device and docker myself. I am, however, using a Pi4 with the USB booting on my 3D printer to run Octoprint. Mostly because the SD card failed from the frequent logging and image captures… the external USB3 device is much more performant and probably has superior wear-leveling for a better lifetime.

+1 on just running Docker + the Home Assistant container. If you have minimal expertise to run the host OS, this give you a lot of flexibility.

nonsense is not using 2 different MAC addresses !

• physical MAC Address for the physical network card
  • dedicated MAC address for HA OS, MAC address that should be possible to force.

Non sense is using randomized MAC addresses.
At least for the physical host it self.

Kr,
Dom

MAC filtering is not the best protection, but, it ensure only systems I know may attempt a connection.
MAC spoofing is effectively a technique, but not known by lambda users.

Fixed MAC address is also required for DHCP reservations.

Reason why there should, at least, be a possibility to ask HA OS to retrun me that MAC address via a simple CLI command (logged as root).

Kr,
Dom

The most simple way would have been to get this info available once logged as root.

I trust solutions, never the workarounds :wink:

Kr,
Dom

Does the MAC start with 02:42:ac ?
If so, it is probably the MAC of the docker?
However, i wonder why it is exposed, docker is only used internal and has a fixed 172 IP :thinking:

It’s not a workaround!

One should be exposed as it requires an http connection, and connection ao any device connected on the LAN.

true…
i was more thinking about mac used for dhcp reservation, already forgot we were talking about mac filtering…
but if you use docking, get ready as each docker will use a new mac (provided it requires internet access)