Why is this so difficult?

maybe if you should have spend your time here on the forum asking for help on a friendly way, instead of nagging and complaining, then people would volunteer to help you and your problem would already be solved.

the way you are talking now, i think not much people will volunteer to help at all.

3 Likes

That’s the thing, I started this post about 6 months after starting my journey with my first Pi3 luckily I found this forum and decided to download HomeAssistant and at that this I was frustrated with trying to set everything up. The wonderful members here reached out and answered many of my questions. Along with ALOT of trial and error I’m slowly coming along.

But this is where we differ, with the understanding that this is a open source FREE software where many many people give up a lot of time just trying to make this I’ll say it again FREE platform better for everyone.

You cannot expect to come here with an entitled attitude and expect volunteers and others like me to help you just because you think they should.

I have a lot to learn still but I know if there’s something I need help with others will be willing to help me because they know I would be truly grateful for the help and while receiving help will learn a few more things so I too can help others into the future where I can.

It is all a process and I am #Blessed and #Grateful to all the members here who were gracious enough to reach out and help.

I hope you figure out what your Wifi issue is and get a solution because Home Assistant is the best platform out there.

Thanks to all the Devs, and members that helped me out along the way! You are all wonderful!

3 Likes

Follow the docs and it should work just fine. Be sure to LABEL the USB drive as ‘CONFIG’, create a folder called ‘network’, then a text file called ‘my-network’ with NO FILE EXTENSION. Put the contents (edited to suit your network) from the linked GitHub page in the ‘my-network’ file.

2 Likes

Does thta work with an existing setup or just on initial setup?

I think its only on initial setup. The easy way around that is to create a snapshot of your config, flash the SD with a fresh HassIO image and start if up with the USB drive in. Once its up and running you can just copy the snapshot across via SSH / SAMBA and restore the snapshot. I did this just last week and it didn’t take long at all.

I think on an existing setup you need to copy the my-network file to the installation, I am not sure where though, and I cannot find the post that told me this.

On an existing you can copy the file from hassio>system.

It would be good if the official docs explained that process in case people need to switch a hardwired Ethernet system over to wifi at some point. Given that it isn’t as easy as a GUI setting I think it needs to be well documented

Agreed, given the frequency that this question arises. (Personally I can’t see why anyone would want to run HA on wifi, but it seems some do.)

1 Like

I just had another look at the Git page and found this:

You can put this USB stick into the device and it will be read on startup. You can also trigger this process later over the API/UI or by calling systemctl restart hassos-config on the host.

and this further down the page:

Network

You can manual add, edit or remove connections configurations from /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections .

…but it should really be part of the Installation - Home Assistant page

On the install page https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/ there is a link to https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/network.md at step 3 under installing hass.io

It does seem to be an area that causes people lots of issues though…

Those are what I linked above and that was my point though, it shouldn’t be spread across multiple sites

They both seem to be different links to me…

yeah sorry, the page I linked is linked from the one you did… further cements my point. The required info is spread across 3 pages

I agree… it’s a dark art getting wifi working with HassOS and not all that well explained in the docs. I’ve never used it as I use Ethernet…

so do I. If something has an Ethernet port, that’s how its connected! wifi has nothing on Ethernet… except being wireless :sweat_smile:

HA is amazing siftware, but developing skills are required.

I wish UX could be as simple as Windows OS without coding.

Please consider submitting an edit to the install page to highlight that.

It’s an open source project, still under heavy development. You can’t expect it to be as polished as a commercial product. This is the trade off you choose - do you want something entirely point and click, but costs money, or do you want something flexible and free, but requires some learning.

That said, many people with no development skills use it (I’m one of those, I have no real coding skills), and there are integrations like Node Red to make building automations a point and click experience.

1 Like

done. my first pull request so it is probably wrong… :zipper_mouth_face: