Why the heck do automations require Jinja templates instead of real Python?

I would be happy if I could use the entity ‘customize’ feature in the UI to add a property that the influxdb component could act upon. Or likewise in the YAML confirmation for an MQTT sensor, for example.

I believe this sort of thing is (or used to be) supported to control what entities were exposed to Alexa.

So add syntax to tell HASS that the thing is code. YAML is extensible. You can easily mark a multi-line thing so that it ends up as a specific object.

Thus instead of having a separate value_template which may or may not override value, and/or adding a value_python which may or may not override one or both of the others, you might choose to mark your value so that it’s interpreted as a template. Adding yet another markup to tell HASS that it’s Python code then becomes trivial.

For the record, I really like Jinja, but there are plenty places where you need real code instead of a template. Sure, go through AppDaemon or pyscript, add another quarter second to your already-too-high latency … your users will love you. NOT.

I’ve already stated why I don’t think its a good idea. Further argument isn’t going to sway me. The juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

Have you used AppDaemon or pyscript? I’ve never experienced any additional latency using AppDaemon (if there is any, it’s imperceptible).

1 Like

I don’r know what you are taling about, I never noticed any delay or latency issues with AppDaemon. This sounds like misconfiguration or bad code to me.