Why the heck is default_config so difficult to customize?

No, real reasons were never mentioned. Because “this is devs decision” is not the reason against the feature. So as “To force advanced users to manage it on their own”. At least not in “why not make advanced user life easier” case.

4 Likes

That’s literally the reason. They made it based off a design intent. It’s not rocket science. I’m sure there’s other technical reasons, but has knowing the technical limitations ever stopped everyone from arguing? No.

How about we just vote for the feature request and move on because there’s no point in arguing.

1 Like

I could imagine that excluding some components could have affect other ones, so it might be dangerous for stability of the whole system. But on the other hand we are advised to achieve the same just different way (and tbh such dependencies would be a proof of bad design in general). So my guess is that there are no technical limitations. If there are indeed, I’m asking for them since beginning. Nobody answering then I’m assuming there are not.

Might be no resources, but we agreed that this change is not any complex to procrastinate it for years.

Yes, we made FR. What I don’t understand is that there are people who can argue against this feature or try to justify current solution in order to minimize importance of the FR or convince us that it’s not needed.

1 Like

The comments in a FR have no bearing on weather or not it’s done. That’s why all this arguing is pointless. Votes, rate of vote increase, technical feasibility, and desire to implement determine whether or not a feature request is added. Anyone can submit a PR for this and add it in. But no one has. So, vote and wait… unless you want to implement it. I’m sure many of the paid & volunteer devs are in my shoes: I don’t care enough about this to attempt to add it because the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

1 Like

Every developer should want it at least because it’s bad pattern.
Otherwise their decisions might be based on the usecases they experiencing with HA. If they don’t use components impacting their user experience, it’s obvious they have no motivation.

But obviously there are users who want to disable some integrations. For example those which are badly designed or conflicting, annoying etc.

BTW the fact that HA and their modules (integrations) are not modular (they are but not user-maintainable as separate modules, ie not update-able other way that with HA releases) is another big story. But I’m going OT now.

TBH I’m really curious if the PR would be accepted. Or rejected because it’s against of some design intent. Unfortunately Python is one of languages I don’t know (and have no time to learn today) so cannot help in this area.

1 Like

You’re a developer, you want this. Submit a PR.

1 Like

I don’t get it why you’re opposed to a new feature that could help users… seriously…

2 Likes

Now you’re just trolling. Petro has made it very clear he does not care one way or the other.

Your trolling since the beginning and you’re rude with people.
Your attitude doesnt reflect all the goodness of the HA community.
Be kind and listen to others idea Instead of just taking your point of view into consideration.
Have a great day mate.

5 Likes

You going to back that accusation up with a quote?

The more this topic devolves into name calling the more likely I am to lock it.

The same can be said about taking his point into consideration… you’re just on the other side of the fence. Lastly, I thought I asked everyone to move on yet you came back for a last word. I stepped in because everyone is being ridiculous about a small issue on both sides.

You have 2 options:

1. Wait for someone to add the feature if you can’t add it yourself.
  2. Add it yourself.

Getting upset because other volunteers don’t want to add it does not help anyone.

2 Likes

Can someone still vote if it’s locked?

1 Like

Nope. That would be the end of it.

Anyway, go nuts I’m no longer tracking the topic.

Out of curiosity, are votes for this and other similar topics combined? I see there’s another WTH entry for the same thing.

If you can point it out to me I’ll merge them

I’m going to guess this one…

Thanks, I’ll merge those

3 Likes

Out of interest would it not have been better to leave this in the feature requests section as its now showing 0 votes and closed for the feature request and the WTH event was last year (have not heard about a new one yet, but may have missed the announcement due to being busy). Or are the Devs treating the WTH section as a more important feature request area due to it being peoples frustrations?

Hmmm, I hadn’t meant it to lose the votes - I clearly merged them the wrong way around :man_shrugging:

Nope, checked, votes show at the top

hmmm… When I look at the FR below its shows 0 votes and closed. This WTH thread is showing 113 Votes, which is why I asked if it would have been better the other way around leaving the Feature Request as that would be where more people would probably look / vote.

Also shows 0 votes in the list of FRs in the Feature Requests section.