Why the heck is Lovelace state_color off by default?

Especially since it was like that literally for years until a person or two asked about it and suddenly it was deemed unusable.

I had to go thru every card I have and set it to true. and now I have to remember that is a setting I need to put in every time I make a new card.

7 Likes

I would have to vote +1 for a global option. Since its clear that one day the now defunct customUI component will cease to work completely, (thanks Mariusthvbd for keeping it relevant for the time being) and for me that was the only reason I installed it a year ago-- right before it was abandoned.

I still dont even bother with the state_color option. the global domain settings in customUI is much better.

3 Likes

I agree global option or a per card setting in UI would be the best solution. I am editing this now per card in YAML :grimacing:

2 Likes

That is what we have now.

Not in the GUI, only trough YAML

Oh yeah, youā€™re right.

So is this likely to be changed?

4 Likes

yes, given the counter it should really be. This WTH must be in the top 10 now?
Unless thereā€™s overwhelming hidden opposition of the ton of other users we donā€™t know of of course :wink:

3 Likes

Nope, 21st. Remember, itā€™s not guaranteed that WTHā€™s will be acted on. Itā€™s a waiting game until a dev pops in and posts a PR.

Itā€™s something :slight_smile:

Nice, as suggested, a per card setting in the UI :ok_hand:

Itā€™s appreciated but useless to me as I never use the UI editors, so the original WTH is still stands. Please make the default color_state true.

1 Like

Please donā€™t. Iā€™m happy itā€™s false as default.

1 Like

Apparently you are the majority (of 1, vs 68 in favour).

I wouldnā€™t worry about it there seems to be no interest by the devs to change it, despite the numbers.

2 Likes

still cannot understand why it is so hard to provide global setting inherited by all cards

3 Likes

in all fairness, it could be more than 1 vs 68 because the people who like it the way it is arenā€™t going to vote.

1 Like

If you think itā€™s so easy, you can just prepare a pull request :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m sure it is, but not much more from what Iā€™ve read on the forum.

I donā€™t understand all the fuzz about a option that in some opinions have to be global or not. With a per Card setting you have te greatest flexibillity that is possible. Sure you could discuss about the default on or off value.
But in my opinion is this a non issue, The option is now available within the UI so unexperienced who are not using YAML, are now also aware and capable to use this.

I only voted for this so I can stop seeing the complaints. I donā€™t get it either. Still doesnā€™t discount their opinion, and if you personally donā€™t care either wayā€¦ vote for it! Thatā€™s what I did.