Wifi device security issues?

IF. IF… IF… Show me where it’s happened.

Most home network hacks aren’t going to be reported as such. Very few hackers are targeting individuals, and those that are work very high up the political ladder. Most hacks that affect us are going to read like “Vulnerability in NextCloud results in some users personal data being exposed.”

The most likely way that an individual network will be hacked is part of a larger security attack, such as Plex and LastPass. But also, we’ve had the Carna Botnet which targeted largely consumers through vulnerabilities that most were unaware existed. Would you think to check every new piece of equipment that you bought for telenet access using a small set of default username/passwords?

No hacker really cares about you. But they do care about the network of x thousand people who have Phillips Hue (for example) and are all vulnerable to the exploit that they found. Or worse, an exploit built in to the device, or added as part of an OTA firmware update. Then they can just write a script to look for traffic related to, say, nextCloud, and run an exploit there that would give them access to private media, potentially giving them personal photos, or maybe some people save their passwords in plaintext there. This kind of stuff would never be reported as “Joe Everyguy got hacked”. It would be reported as “Vulnerability in NextCloud resulted in some users’ personal data being exposed”. If you don’t care about network security, you may be one of those “some users”.

1 Like

Assuming they know they were hacked :rofl:

I guess if it doesnt impact you enough to notice, maybe it is not a problem. Thats like having a lion watch you every day from the brush. Maybe itll be OK. Maybe one day it sees you as a nice snack.

This is a list of blocked traffic against my network the last 12-ish hours. All of them originate from IPs known for abuse / malicious traffic or use known vectors, so the list is quite probably longer. I even have the “largest culprit countries” blocked.

I googled it, the actual course from Cisco is $800. But I wasn’t thinking you intended me to take that one. I did see some free introductory courses on Coursera and I’m sure there are others. I’ll look into it farther.

I do have a somewhat vague picture of wifi being like a screen door for anything connected to it in my house. Years ago when I used Linux regularly I ran a utility (ether ape I think was the name) and it showed traffic going all over the place. It was really annoying, but I thought it out of my range of expertise to limit it. So, I’ll look into those clases and see what I can learn.

Thanks,
Jon