Wifi issues on HassOS

Hi guys.

I am glad to see that there is HassOS. Changes are most of the time awesome and an improvement and i know that all programmers are volunteers but! The new way to install wifi by using a usb is so frustrating because it just does not work. I have already used hassbian … hassio… i think l installed 5 raspberrys running hassbian or hassio…
I used FHEM, IObroker and openhab before.

If i would have used homeassistant the first time with an hassOS installation i would have quit right there…

I looked thru all topics with hassos wifi issues. none of them worked.

Going to install hassbian now on my pi zero w.

Thanks anyway for the great work and support all the time.

So this is just a moan, and you don’t want any help?

1 Like

Hi. I feel your pain. But, I can confirm it does work. Try this.

1. If you are using an raspberry pi 3 download the 64bit version of Hassio NOT The recommended 32 bit version.
    Reflash your SD card as normal.
    Create your USB but call tthe file “system-connections” NOT “my-network”
    insert the SD card and the USB drive and turn on. Be patient and monitor your WiFi network with something like FING app on your mobile phone and you should see your pi WiFi become active and then you’ll be able to browse to it,
    PS do not have a LAN cable in the pi when you boot it,
    See this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCRcGTznXs&t=1m40s
    Good Luck!
2 Likes

I agree I cannot get the WIFI set up correctly. Very frustrating. Does anyone know how to do this on a mac? I’ve tried the video link and it still does not work.

Thanks.
This worked great, for me.

I too have had no luck on a PI 3B+ with either 32 or 64 bit image HA0.88.1, trying both “CONFIG\networks\my-networks” or “CONFIG\networks\system-connections” USB file (no extension) containing:

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=myUUID
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=mySSID

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=myKey

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

CONFIG is the formatted SD drive name, with “network” as a directory. With newly formatted HA SD image and USB plugged in containing the network file, then powered up… after 10 minutes, still no hassio showing up on FING or ROUTER. I have router configured for static IP 192.168.1.127 and port 8123 and 3218 port forwarding. I assume it does not matter which of the 4 USB ports on the PI is used.

Then I plug in the ether port, and it comes right up.

What did you edit the file with?

Are you using linux line endings?

Hi Nick,

I edited with NotePad++. I see that there is a NotePad++ option “Edit > EOL Conversion > UNIX” format (LF)". Looks like I am currently set to “Windows” format (CR LF). I’ll try that suggestion later today and post results.

Thank you,
Rich

I’m trying to connect since last 3 days but it does not work…i had a hassio working with wifi for a while al of sudden my sd died…with new sd trying to connect to wifi tried with 64 and 32 bit… latest release and also old release file which i had… match file name with ID… pluged usb while powering pi, pre pluged usb before powering, also tried import from usb under hassio system setting but nothing works… sometime i feel like giving up with home assistant when these things happen… its really a pain…

Changing the end-of-line format from Windows to UNIX, using either “my-networks” or “system-connections” file name, and WiFi does not work.

I here ya ashfaaa… I have been beating my head against the wall on both Samba and WiFi over the past 3 weeks. I have probably restarted from scratch, reformatting SD 20 times. I need these two key items to move forward. Samba for remotely editing/saving configs, and WiFi for locating PI remote to closet where all the ADT sensor wires connect. I am running out of will power. HA looks like a great platform to play with. I am running PI headless… I am not familiar with Linux OS, though I am an embedded micro developer, I have little bandwidth to dive in and learn this code… It would be nice if it just worked by following online instructions… I’d love to see this happen… and play with it!

I also read last night (after posting here) that you should ensure the encoding is ANSI in notepad++

So ANSI encoding and linux line endings, see if that works.

Thanks Nick for engaging with me on this conversation… You kept me engaged :slight_smile: cause I was about to quit. I got it fixed! My USB card was not formatted FAT32. See my comments here:

1 Like

Aha, thats where I read about the ANSI thing…

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/guide-connecting-pi-with-hassos-to-wifi/98768