WiFi on RPi 4

I have HA running on an RPi 4 connected to ethernet, but I need to move my Pi closer to a new device to add it. Removing the Z-Stick and taking it to the device for inclusions doesn’t seem to work. Has anybody set up WiFi on their Pi 4 after the fact and used it? And if so, can you help me with the process?

Also, is it possible to have both wired and WiFi enabled at the same time on the Pi, and if not, is there an easy method of switching back and forth as needed in times like these?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane

Doesn’t really help you, but for adding Z-Wave devices I always bring the device close enough to the stick, add it, mount it in its final place and then heal the Z-Wave network.

For setting up WiFi we need to know how you installed Home Assistant?

Thanks Burningstone. I installed HA on my Pi using the 64-bit RPi image downloaded and flashed to an SD card. So, I’m running the latest HASSOS 4.11 image (actually, I flashed an older version a few months ago, and have been upgrading in situ to this latest version).

I found this guide, but I couldn’t find that nmcli command, so assume it is not available in the canned install version of HASSOS.

Try the ssh & web terminal add-on and I think you will be able to use nmcli.

1 Like

That guide is for HassOS. It’s in the title of the guide. And it tells you specifically which addon to run and what to do, so make sure you read and dont skim.

I made sure I read it, and I didn’t skim. I already have the Terminal & SSH Add-on installed, so WhyTF is there ANOTHER one that’s called SSH & Web Terminal that puts yet another “Terminal” in my sidebar? Perhaps you can understand my confusion trying to keep up with the patchwork of things that is (and bloat) HA. And why does THIS add-on provide access to those additional functions but not the (otherwise known as) “official SSH Add on”? Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, and thanks for the insulting response.

Thanks for pointing this out (without the insult).

So is there a secret handshake that’s required to get this add-on started? I added a user name and password to the config, and it just keeps terminating. I don’t even get to the point of entering a UN/PW. I go to the Terminal in the Sidebar and get “Add-on is not running. Please start first”. PW is good, so that’s not the problem.

Here’s the log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc…exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms…exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes…
[fix-attrs.d] permissions: applying…
[fix-attrs.d] permissions: exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts…
[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: executing…

Add-on: SSH & Web Terminal
SSH & Web Terminal access to your Home Assistant instance

Add-on version: 7.4.1
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: HassOS 4.11 (aarch64 / raspberrypi4-64)
Home Assistant Core: 0.113.1
Home Assistant Supervisor: 229

Please, share the above information when looking for help
or support in, e.g., GitHub, forums or the Discord chat.

[cont-init.d] 00-banner.sh: exited 0.[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] 01-log-level.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] docker.sh: executing…
[23:10:38] INFO: Docker support has been enabled.
[cont-init.d] docker.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] mosquitto.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] mysql.sh: executing…
[cont-init.d] mysql.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] ssh.sh: executing…
[23:10:41] INFO: Password is NOT in the Have I Been Pwned database! Nice!
[23:10:41] WARNING:
[23:10:41] WARNING: Logging in with a SSH password is security wise, a bad idea!
[23:10:41] WARNING: Please, consider using a public/private key pair.
[23:10:41] WARNING: What is this? https://kb.iu.edu/d/aews
[23:10:41] WARNING:
[cont-init.d] ssh.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] user.sh: executing…
[23:10:43] NOTICE: Session sharing has been disabled!
[cont-init.d] user.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[23:10:44] INFO: Starting the Home Assistant STDIN service…
[23:10:44] INFO: Starting the SSH daemon…
[23:10:44] INFO: Starting the ttyd daemon…
Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address in use.

Bind to port 22 on :: failed: Address in use.

Cannot bind any address.

[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts…
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: executing…
[23:10:44] INFO: STDIN service was stopped, restarting…
[cont-finish.d] 99-message.sh: exited 0.
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
/usr/lib/bashio/addons.sh: line 171: printf: write error: Broken pipe
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.

Going to the Terminal page gives 502: Bad Gateway.

Do you still have the other ssh add-on running? They can’t both use port 22

1 Like

You chose to install HA this way, there are other options, which are less convenient to install/maintain but give you full access to the host system.

Looks like you still run the other addonand both try to access port 22, as @nickrout pointed out already.

Thanks, that solved the problem. Although it’s obvious now that the same port can’t be used by two programs, it didn’t occur to me that it was concurrently incompatible with the ‘official’ SSH add-on, and I don’t see anything in the docs about having to disable the other. Perhaps we could add that to the “Installation” or “Known issues and Limitations” sections of the docs.Thanks again. Cheers.

Yes, I did, because I wanted to focus on my goal of home automation, not managing a Linux server, or Docker and a bazillion containers (about which I’d have to learn), and sorting through hundreds of personal projects to find the ones that work on my particular flavor of Linux.

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I’ve gone from 0 to 120, drinking from a fire hose, and in just a couple of months have a stable HA system up and running on a low-power, low-maintenance PI4, successfully installed 40 Z-wave devices, learned YAML, Jinja, created automations, scripts, Node-Red flows, custom UI pages, cut my water main and installed a powered valve controlled by a Z-wave sensor connected to my high-water alarm, automated my garage door, motion sensors, just finished installing 11 light switches, and learned how to manage entity reporting and recorder so that my DB is 57 MB instead of 2 GB. You and @cogneato might want to forgive me is I missed that an Add-on called “SSH & Web Terminal” is different than the official one called “Terminal & SSH” while reading a forum post, or that they both use Port 22 and therefore can’t run simultaneously.

I did choose to install this way, but based upon the direction that HA developers seem to be headed, I’m not alone in wanting that level of simplicity (this very Add-on being on point). After 30 years of SW Engineering and IT mgmt, I’m now more interested in the ‘destination’, and less in the ‘journey’.

Thank you for reading my post and providing assistance.

Cheers

1 Like

That’s impressive!!

Fair enough.

Please don’t take my post as an attack, it sounded like you were complaining about how “bloated” HA is and I just wanted to point out that there are other install methods that are not “bloated”.

I think Home Assistant Supervised on a generic linux install might be a good fit for you. You still get all the add-ons etc. and from time to time if you need to do something “advanced” you could easily do so by sshing into the host. The only additional system you need to maintain is the host OS. Just a suggestion.

1 Like

Thanks Burningstone. No worries.

I think HA is awesome (just ask my wife!), but came in just as some major changes happened, like name changes, watched lots of outdated videos, and it was pretty hard to get up to speed as a result.

I’ve been told that before about HASSIO, and may indeed look at it in the future. At the moment, though, the Pi4 is a perfect solution for my needs; I just bump up against the locked-down system once in a while when trying to configure something. I don’t plan on doing any mission-critical automations at the house. Everything I automate will work just fine with systems offline.

I’m a Windows user (but ex-Unix programmer and sys-admin - yeah, I said UNIX! :wink: ), and if I need any of Linux’s fantastic tools, I have several flavors set up on Vbox on Windows.

Also, perhaps my use of ‘bloated’ was out of line… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thanks again.
Cheers

1 Like