Wifi, what the hell?

So Ive created an sdcard with Homeassistant ( HassOS ?.. Hassio? … Hassbian?? Dunno what but some sort of os seems to be installed) to use with my Raspbery pi4.

But couldn’t for the life of me get it to connect to my wifi network. Followed the documentation to the letter but alas. Tried both adding a file to the sdcard and tried the usb stick approach. Both a no go and believe me, I have tried everything

So I ended up buying a mini HDMI to HMI cable just to see where things go haywire.
Turns out nothing is going haywire. With the odd ‘wlan0 is not ready’ message as an exception.
So I tried logging in at the prompt and take it from there.
Failed.
As soon as you type root, the whole shebang crashes and you end up in some sort of emergency shell.

So now I have it connected with a physical lan cable and lo and behold, something inside stirred and I can access home-assistant.

Then I though, OK, no problem. Just set up the WIFI now.
And then I got lost in a forest of seemingly deprecated threads about how to go about this. The official documentation says nothing about this for some odd reason. The docs assume wifi setup is a breeze I guess… :frowning:

So my question is, where can I find the corrrect and still valid info for setting up WIFI?

ps: You may have detected a slight sarcastic tone in my message. And you may be correct, but please bear with me, I have been trying to get HA running on that PI 4 for several days now.

First off, leave it hardwired if you can. You don’t want to be troubleshooting issues and find out its wifi issues.

Scroll down on that page for instructions.

Alternatively, when connected via LAN, you can SSH in and do it via the command line.

I would recommend installing this add-on as the default one is rather limited.

Maybe that helps:

Thanks @VDRainer and @silvrr for your help.

It turns out, NetworkManager has difficulties connecting to my network. Which is odd because I have 40+ devices running just fine on it, even the PI itself has no issues whatsoever when running Raspberry OS…

I guess it is back to trial and error reboots for now :frowning: