Will Google Hangouts moving to Google Chat break integration?

I’m regularly getting notification from Google that hangouts is moving to Google chat. I use hangouts for some of my notifications so I was wondering if anyone knew if this is going to impact the Hangouts integration? If so is anyone working on a fix or does this need to be highlighted in the docs that this is going away?

Good question. Until now I always ignore Google when it asks me to move to Google chat. But I don’t know how long that will be possible.

Yeah, as it stands, having seen nothing from the devs about this I am assuming it will just stop working one day and that will be the end of that.

Once Google turns off the last Hangouts client, I am guessing this integration will stop working. That said, the new Google Chat APIs and bot developer guide make it look like it’s totally feasible to integrate Google Chat with HA. (Sadly, I lack the skill and time to do it.)

I’ve filed a FR, please go and vote on it!

It looks like Google Chat doesn’t even really need an integration - if it is just for notifications…

Ignore anything about the code, it says that you just choose to generate a webhook in whatever chat room you want, and then copy the URL. You can then POST data to that URL and it will appear in the chatroom.

I just tried to follow the instructions and the menu it talks about isn’t even available. Looks like it might only work for “Google Workspace” so basically the enterprise version of chat that has been around for a while. The page you linked to is actually from the Google Workspace developer site.

Did you actually try following the doc? Could you make it work? Are you using chat with a work account rather than a personal account?