Windows or Pi?

I have a windows 10 laptop and a Pi available. What is the recommended platform? or is it personal preference?

Both will work fine, but you will probably have an easier time on the pi.

Or, you could install Linux - Debian/ubuntu on the laptop :slight_smile:

I think the majority of the HASS users are running it on a Pi using Linux.

Go with the pi. Most of the posts I see on here are from widows users trying to get things working. Instead of trying to do automations and use HA.

Also, windows gives you little control over when updates are installed and the computer restarts. You will be fighting windows all the way.

Agreed go with a PI, I started with windows and it gave me confidence to move to PI and really get automating :smiley:

Whichever one you go with make sure you make backups of your configuration files every time you make updates. There is no worse feeling that when you delete everything from the wrong directory and realize you have to re-create all of your automations and everything from memory.

Use the Pi. Your home automation should be on something that is always running, not on a laptop or desktop.

Thanks. I guess I know what I’m doing tomorrow.

If you set the power management correctly, a laptop with linux on it, could be a really nice HA host especially since it has it’s own battery backup integrated with it. I’m just sayin…

1 Like

Yeah, I used a laptop for a bit, it worked great. Drop a Linux server distro on it and there is plenty of. Power for HA.

Battery backup is nice and you have a power outage sensor built in.

It would certainly work, but laptops are not typically designed to run 24x7. IF you have a spare laptop that has no other use, it is not a bad fit. Just a lot more expensive than a Pi.

My pi takes almost no space and shares a small UPS with my router.

Agreed. I’m running on a pi as well. But laptops don’t have the sd card issues that the pi’s do. And I happen to have an old laptop laying around… Upgraded entire family to Mac’s about 2 years ago. I was just replying to your comment about a laptop or desktop not being appropriate to run HA on. I’ve repurposed many desktops and laptops into servers over the years. Always for home use, not for work, but in a pinch, it can be a good way to get some more life out of a PC that’s not up to spec for games anymore…

Do you have to have a ‘dedicated’ sd card to install Hassbian? I have a card in now but it has my Retropie installation and I don’t want to overwrite that card. Thanks

pi all the way!
rock solid reliability. low power. small, easy to hide anywhere. accessible from anywhere.

Hassbian is an image provided that is rasbian with HA pre-installed and some sub-features (z-wave, gpio, etc) enabled.

Im not sure if there is a method to make a hassbian clone on another base image.

If you want to keep your retropie image you can always follow the virtualenv instructions and install HA along side it. I have used those instructions on a number of linux images and never had issues. I would recommend a wired connection while doing the install. The update/upgrade sequence and HA install can be slow without a solid Wifi connection or wired connection.