WLED: control palette, speed, reverse, preset, second color

Hi everybody,

have any of your been able to accomplish this? While the Home Assistant integration will allow us to control these parameters

• transition
  • rgb_color
  • color_name
  • hs_color
  • xy_color
  • color_temp
  • kelvin
  • white_value
  • brightness
  • brightness_pct
  • brightness_step
  • brightness_step_pct
  • flash
  • effect

I am not sure how to set the entity to a particular preset, change the effect speed, or apply one of it’s predefined color palettes… this is the main reason I have hardly used palettes at all; last night I downloaded the WLED app just for fun and played with the palettes a bit to see what they offer, and they are fantastic. It’d be so cool to apply them natively via the Home Assistant integration, especially when it comes to automating them without manual interaction.

Also, being able to change the second color would be very useful. It is set to one particular color when flashing WLED; you can change in via App and webUI, but not through Home Assistant. Often, the predefined color does not work for custom things (for example, I believe the Fade effect fades between the regular color and the second color; depending on the main color, this looks quite bad when the two colors don’t harmonize).

Thank you for your ideas :slight_smile:

You can use mqtt until Frenk completes the rest of the services for this integration.

e.g.

1 Like

Be aware it’s not updated with the latest colours / effects, so you need to add them to get the “full set”

(edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLtzCijDUbw is the video from DrZzzs that describes the set up that is detailed in https://github.com/Snipercaine/WLED-HomeAssistant )

1 Like

Thank you!

until Frenk completes the rest of the services for this integration

I’ll take this as Frenk already working on integrating this. So I should probably wait until there is a simple enough solution. Before Home Assistant, I almost exclusively worked with mqtt (via node red), but either node red handles mqtt better, or (more likely), I don’t get the syntax right for doing the same in Home Assistant¹. I have WLEDs in most of my rooms, some rooms even containing multiple of them. If I manually create all those sensors, actors, etc. per device (even using yaml anchors), it’ll be messy and there is not really a point doing it when there will be a simpler solution in the (what I hope to be the) foreseeable future :slight_smile:

¹ I mean that in node red I’d create an mqtt input subscribed to something “wildcardable” (home/wleds/+), add a function to do everything I need, then add an mqtt output. In Home Assistant, I believe I’d have to create the mqtt part, then act individually (for example, I’d have to create one input_number per WLED), then route those to the appropriate mqtt output. I try using Home Assistant exclusively as much as I can (currently only using node red for minimal mqtt routing: forwarding messages from a remote mqtt server to my local mqtt server, as I didn’t find a way to connect more than one mqtt server to Home Assistant), and while I could do this in node red, I’d rather not, I’d prefer to wait to a Home Assistant only solution.

This is a ‘Home Assistant only solution’, you wont be able to set secondary or tertiary colors, or turn on/off mirror effect or preset playlist (cycle) but everything else should work fine. asterisk for ‘reverse’ effect. The upside is: no mqtt, and minimal .yaml editing. Also this can be done on vanilla home assistant. No custom cards or components whatsoever. Just Helpers and service calls and automations to bind them. After that it’s simply a matter of adding the helpers to a card in lovelace.