WTH are those Login Attempt failed?

It is to do with token for camera when picture-entity is used. When you are coming back to the page it still has an old token. I had to disable fail2ban because of this.

2 Likes

Sometimes you just have to live with it. As long as it’s an internal issue, just ignore it. At least that’s what I do. I would prefer the dev to focus on many other improvements required. Three years later, it should have been fixed if it could. I still enjoy the system, never mind the yellow annoying notification down the page.

Yeah I’ve just trained myself to ignore notifications altogether… which is fine until something important shows up there…

1 Like

Yeah that’s the problem. If you’re getting flooded with meaningless warnings and condition yourself to ignore them, you’ll miss the one real warning that matters.

I have the same problem with these notifications, I have had it since I started using HA. Mine come from using Tileboard on my phone (which uses the HA websocket API). When I leave the page open and the phone goes to sleep, when I wake it up again I get the login warning in the log. I assume it’s trying to access the API with an expired token after waking up, before renewing it.

@resoai, since you’re already around here, did you experience similar issues with TB ?

My workaround was to add a custom user agent string on my phone with a long GUID (using Fully Kiosk) and then patch HA to not log a login warning when it’s tagged with that specific user agent GUID. I only use Fully to access HA and nothing else, so the user agent shouldn’t get leaked. But it’s a hacky workaround and I’m not too proud of it.

2 Likes

I was excited to see the new local user only account that came in the December release. So I setup a guest and had them sign into the app on their phone when they were watching our house at Christmas. Now that they are off our network, I am getting these messages. I could ask them to uninstall the app, but then when they are here next time, I’ll have to help them sign in again. I understand it and it’s because the account is probably trying to ping my home assistant when off the local network, so it’s a failure, but I wish it wouldn’t show as a notification. Or certainly a lower priority one that doesn’t trigger the orange circle.

1 Like

@hoyt I’ve seen this notification show up as well. Over the past couple days I’ve done a fresh install, I have Z-Wave JS integrations for light control and not much else. I don’t have the cameras mentioned above.
I added two Android users with the Companion App and that went fine, running the Nabu Casa 1-month trial at the moment, that went fine.
Then I added another android user via a cheap tablet and set it to be a local-only account. Immediately I have these notifications on every access from that tablet.
During the setup the Companion app picked up my local server IP as expected (192.168… address) and when my connection broke and I saw the settings had auto-populated the Nabu Casa URL, I’m thinking this might be what’s causing the issue as the user is supposed to be local.

I’m going to open a question about getting to that settings page, because I still don’t get it.
Edit: I didn’t end up making that post because I was just not looking in the right place. In case others have the same issue I’ve described it in this reply: Internal and External URL - #8 by dabell

I have the same password (on the same installation) for two years, yet I’m getting these bogus notifications from devices that are obviously correctly logged in for years as well. It’s apparently a bug or something. At the very least, there should be an ignore button.

1 Like

Dont know if this is yet solved, but i also get this messages out of one device of me. tried reinstalling the mac app and reconnecting everything but the problem persists. The strange part is, that the app logs into and has no problem using home assistant but the invalid login message keeps reappearing every few seconds=(

does anybody has the same problems?

Mac App, 2021.12 (322); Hassio 2021.12.5

EDIT: Solved it by rebooting my laptop - this wasnt obvious for me, perhaps this helps others:D

I wish this could get some attention. Since it seems like it’s impossible to fix the underlying bug in HA and/or the companion apps, there should at least be an option to stop generating notifications for login failures, perhaps limited to specific IPs.

As it stands, the constant false positives make the entire notification feature useless.

It’s not (entirely, at least) camera related, since I got these constantly even before I added any cameras.

Is there an open issue for this on GitHub? I only see the one about adding more info to the message, which is not helpful given that the origin of the request (in my case the iOS app) is quite obvious from the IP.

4 Likes

Agreed. It’s going on since day one (2019 for me). Password hasn’t changed and there’s nothing related to the IP from the error in the log at all.

I’d love to be able to mute these pesky notifications. I keep ignoring them and missing useful ones!

1 Like

This is my workaround. It’s pretty nuclear, but I don’t have to see the notifications.

- alias: 'Dismiss login failed notification'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      entity_id: persistent_notification.http_login
      to: 'notifying'
  action:
    - delay: "00:00:01"
    - service: persistent_notification.dismiss
      data:
        notification_id: http-login
16 Likes

The problem is not the notifications, which are annoying and as some said, if you ignore these, eventually you’ll ignore an important one, the problem is that this eventually locks me out of HA (I connect using the local IP or SSH and delete the ipban file). In my case it’s always my own external IP and it only happens on an iPad running the home assistant app I use as a dashboard. It happens sometimes, others it works just fine. Using the same app on 2 iPhones, another iPad and my notebook, does not trigger this. Only on that specific instance of the iOS app! I tried deleting all tokens, it makes no difference. I still resist to turn off ipban all together.

2 Likes

Same here. I got used to it :smirk:

This Community website doesn’t seem to offer ANY fixes for the problems. This isn’t anything against you. I just had to reply somewhere.

@kmlucy are you still using this? does it kill other notifications?

Yes, I’m still using it. It works well and only kills the login failed notifications. Obviously I’d prefer to just have this bug solved properly, but for me, killing them is worth the trade offs.

3 Likes

Thanks, I will give it a try!

I get this as well. I didn’t at first, but it seems to have started at about the same time that I added cameras to my setup, so that theory seems to line up well for my case too.

Can someone confirm, if there is a fix for this already? I am on the latest version on HA, but I still see the errors. Thank you!