WTH can't home assistant auto-update?

I would like to be able to set a maintenance window (eg. tue 3-4am) where home assistant (core/os/addons/etc) auto update to save me clicking the button(s) myself every month!

If an integration is in use that has a breaking change in the update, raise a notification instead of updating

That’s a very courageous choice.

Breaking changes are occasionally missed. Things occasionally go wrong even without breaking changes. It’s best to set aside some time to update every month. Then you have time to calmly work thorough any issues that may arise. If they don’t, then you have some bonus free time to do with what you will.

Waking up to a dysfunctional home automation system while getting ready for the day is not the best time. Ask anyone who has had to do it.

Just my opinion.

3 Likes

As updates are entities in Home Assistant, it means one can automate it; including automating the installation of updates.

There are multiple Blueprints available that give you this functionality in an iffy, for example:

Besides the comment above by Tom, which is also correct.
Luckily we make everything flexible enough to allow for things like this, so everybody can make up their own minds, schedules, and usecases.

…/Frenck

3 Likes

As a person who has had to look after a number of systems that include auto-destruct auto update features, I for one would not want that as a default. Too many organisations think they know the best time and way to ‘update’ your system.

That is the beauty of Home Assistant, it is local, under your control and as Frenck said if you really want auto update you can script / automate it without having timing/method etc forced upon you.

I love the fact that I have the ability to run multiple instances one running on beta, one running current stable and one legacy 2021.9.7 install I have not had time to migrate but works flawlessly, but an upgrade would break it due to several breaking changes.

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments!

I realise it’s not the same for everyone, but I’m not a heavy user and I treat home assistant as a ‘nice to have’ thing on top of the direct control I have of all devices in my house. home-assistant breaking is not too a big deal for me, hence the request!

Thanks for your suggestion @frenck, looks good