WTH can't I stop my flatmate from messing with certain devices in my Home (Assistant)?

Given this is “Home” Assistant, it would be great if certain permissions could be applied to devices / entities / automations.

We have a flatmate who can’t help himself, and always messes with the color of our lights. We have him added on to Home Assistant so he can control the interactions with his room and certain hallway devices, but having him sitting in the livingroom being an ass changing the lighting in the kitchen as we cook is insanely frustrating, given we cannot stop that short of disabling / removing his entire user account.

What would be great is if there was even just an “elevated” vs “restricted” user capability, similar to the “admin only” permission for dashboards. This way we could still have automations trigger changes to our lights etc to turn them on / off, set the color, control the brightness… But our flatmate wouldn’t have permissions to mess with things in our home.

Possibly a duplicate of WTH2 - WTH!? No RBAC - Role Based Access Control? (Users & Groups rights)

1 Like