WTH can't I unblock a banned IP?

When the ip_ban_enabled is True, after some failed login attempts the specific IP is blocked. This is caused even if the web interface is just opened without doing anything special or trying to login again.

To unban the specific IP I need to SSH to my server and remove the entry from the ip_bans.yaml file and then restart the server. I have scripts that do this for me, but I would really like to have it native on the configuration of home assistant.

Introducing a service to reset ip bans was discussed in a feature request. Apparently not an easy thing to implement.

I actually turned ip ban off for a while because of this annoyance. Re-enabled it recently after detecting a couple of intrusion attempts.

Interestingly since being in an area with no mobile cellular coverage (only wifi) I have not had false bans happen once. Maybe fixing whatever wifi to cellular NAT switching issue is causing the problem would be easier.

Don’t forget to vote for your own wth.

For me the ban is happening even on my computer which is connected with ethernet, but I believe that it’s not easy to find the root of the problem. For that reason I recommend to have an option to reset ip bans.
I’ve tried to follow the logic of how the ip bans are done, but I couldn’t figure out anything so if anyone can help it would be really useful feature to have.

FYI here’s the original feature request:

1 Like