WTH can't we have a full 365+ days in the built in History tracker instead of having to use 3rd party apps like Influx?

I’ve had some issues getting Grafana to remember any dashboard after a system reboot. The built in History tab is pretty nice. Why the heck can’t we, as an option, change how long the history is saved for? I understand it relates to data space being used by a lot of data points over a year. But if we give our HA enough space couldn’t we keep this History within HA?

Can’t you just update the “recorder:” in configuration.yaml?

It can be configured but my experience is that even MariaDB needs a lot of resources to scale beyond months when you have a lot of sensors or sensors that update frequently. It is fine for history of sensors like light toggle but not for power meters that update every 10-20 sec and so far you can’t configure different retention periods for different sensors. It is related with WTH can't we specify the purge_keep_days in Recorder per entity?. For long term history the InfluxDB and Grafana combo is still the best IMHO.

1 Like