WTH don't we have a helper selector that allows multiple selections?

input_select is great but only one selection is allowed. Mutiple selections would be extremly useful for scenes like e.g. selecting vacuum cleanning rooms, and as config input for automations, etc.

Doubt this could be done to the existing input_select, so as a new integration request I believe this falls outside the scope of WTH

It should have been included in the Input Select functionality in the first place, I don’t know what else they could call it if they ever implement it. The name “Input Select” seems to cover both multiple selection and single selection, the only difference would best be an attribute (“Allow multiple selection” or the like).

The person who developed it did not seem to think so.

Yeah, seems like that’s the case a lot with HA.

1 Like

That developers have opinions on how the hard work they submit to Home Assistant’s core should operate?

I would hope so.

1 Like

I’d really like to see this too.

My specific use case is creating various grouped controls which are exposed to HomeKit (I use them as a kind of room “control panel”).

HomeKit bridge will expose input_select and select entities as a “power strip” (HomeKit - Home Assistant). In the HomeKit UI, power strips offer a good, compact UI to allow interacting with these types of grouped/related switches. Also, input_select seems to be the only documented way to create a HK power strip.

The problem is that my use case needs to allow selecting multiple options - i.e the options need to have checkbox behaviour, instead of the radio button behaviour that input_select currently has.

So, for now I’m stuck creating multiple virtual switches and exposing them individually to HK, which spams my HK rooms with many discrete switches.

I’d take a look at improving it (I’m a Typescript dev with no Python experience), but TBH, as I mentioned here, and after reading various GH issues and generally researching HA stuff, I’m hesitant to spend my time learning Python and contributing, only for it to be rejected.

1 Like