WTH - Have a "Reload" button in their respective sections

yes, of course the system would need to check the new template (and only that, not the full system…)

it wouldn’t have to restart the system, that’s the whole point, only load the new template sensor :wink:

The problem with automatic reload and initialization when you save a file, is that you might inadvertedly trigger an automation if you change a sensor that the automation depends on before the automation is updated - or if change an automtion to require new values from a sensor, but have not updated the sensors yet.

Unless you always use packages, and keep everything that can ever be related in one single file, this is a recipe for “disaster”.
I’d rather be sure I have modfied all the necessary components before doing a reload (or “commit” as I prefer to call it in my day job…), than something jumping at me because the software starts caring about peices of the config that it is not yet ready to handle properly due to other pieces of the pussle still missing.

I found this thread because I just found myself wishing there was a reload button on the Automations and Scripts pages. I had to go from the Automations page where I was at -> Main -> General -> Server Options (a hefty little scroll that has been complained about elsewhere), Click Reload Automations, then go back Main -> Automations where I could finally do what I wanted to in the first place which could all be avoided if this button existed.

Sort of surprised this WTH wasn’t picked up by someone. Seems like a no brainer to me but when you have no brain everything is a no brainer! :crazy_face:

@petro Auto Reload? Please god no!!! On my poor RPi 3 it currently takes an average of 2.5 minutes for my automations to reload. I would be PISSED if I had to sit there looking at a screen for a couple minutes every time I saved an automation. I do enough waiting already thank you very much (even my lovelace takes over 3 minutes to reload). Just the button in the right spot would be lovely.

3 Likes

A “Reload Automations” button under the “Add automation” one and styled the same would be perfect!

The same applied to other reloads would be great too.

Mine doesn’t take long to reload - just a few seconds - but I’m running in a VM but having the button also available on this page would save a bit of swapping back and forth on tabs/windows/etc.

I agree… it should just reload when you save it.

I’m pretty sure this happens already.
Reload only need when to change a yaml automation
I’ve made.some changes today and they worked straight away, just realised I hadn’t reloaded them. It happened automatically
When you save an automation you’ll see them all flick off and on briefly

Nope, unless im doing something wrong. Just yesterday i was working on an automation and kept having to reload the automations for the changes to take effect. I think it is because the UI editor actually just edits the automations.yaml file.

I love being right:

1 Like

and just to confirm, in server controls it says those buttons are related to yaml not what you do in the ui.

It doesn’t reload if there are errors

1 Like

You realise you can have different tabs all running different ha pages?

I think this can be closed as the functionality is already built in

Every section would need this functionality

Which one doesn’t?
I believe helpers does it already

Home assistant cannot have a reload scenes button at the scenes page, and a reload automations at the automation page. That would be too useful and would go against the general principle of HA: everything should be in the most difficult position possible, requiring as many clicks as possible to do the most basic things, whereas things you never use is put on the main pages with large buttons.

I can’t have multiple tabs in my HA app. And there is something seriously wrong if the permanent solution is to have multiple tabs because what you want to do all the time is not on the page you are when want to do that.

1 Like

I still would like the original request to be made possible (where appropriate, e.g. scripts, automations, inputs, zones, etc.), but I have an additional WTH with regard to the reloading. I’m not sure when it changed, (probably when all of the additional reload types were added), but the instructions state:

YAML configuration reloading

Some parts of Home Assistant can reload without requiring a restart. Hitting reload will unload their current YAML configuration and load the new one.

Which is…odd since:
Reload Screen
I am quite sure it was there once (at least I seem to remember it) But there no longer seems to be a “Reload” button or text to click. Just the name of the component you want to reload. It would be nice if the directions were re-worded a bit here.

/edit: Since WTH is long over (hoping for another one though!) I opened an issue for my gripe :slight_smile: Reword "Configuration>Server Controls>YAML configuration reloading" directions · Issue #9515 · home-assistant/frontend · GitHub

Thanks mr positive.

Oh, I was thinking i might have been too negative at first. Glad that you though of it/me as positive :slight_smile:

I feel a bit sad, however, if you are being sarcastic and believe the current look&feel of HA is even remotely positive. To me, it looks like they’ve actually had a UX designer all along, but did the exact oposite of what that person said throughout the development :wink:

Some months ago (maybe during last WTH month) I’ve seen a comment from a developer who is responsible for HA GUI, in which he admitted he is very bad at GUI design.
While it may happens and nobody blame him for that, I surprised about such long time since GUI issues were pointed out, but still remains unresolved. It could be bang for the buck.