WTH: ip address - mac address

Nope, telenet (Belgian internet provider) doesn’t allow any configuration.

That sounds odd. Can you log into the router IP?

Perhaps not a reliable source, but it seems there is configuration.
192.168.1.1 - Telenet TNDSL 2120 Router login and password (modemly.com)

Found when googling “telenet belgium router login”

Did you try to login to your ‘customer zone’ and change settings there ?

Missed the replies but:
no I cannot login the router and through the “available settings” on their webpage you can’t allocate fixed ip-addresses. So I have to deal with a chance on variation in addresses.

Can you turn off dhcp altogether and run it on another machine?

Correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that using static IP addresses and reserving IP addresses only works if the client device can be set to a fixed address and have DHCP disabled. I keep I fighting this battle and now have a long list of reserved addresses and static addresses in my router BUT there are devices involved which have no way to assign the IP address and disable DHCP. Interestingly enough, it seems only devices that require an IP address to be assigned in either the configuration file or by the integration setup seem to fall victim to disconnection when the router is rebooted. Those devices which are automatically discovered by HA and that solely use DHCP do not fail when their IP address changes.

Static ip on a linux machine is done in etc/hostname on windows on the network card, … on router ( these machines (IP) have to be outside the DHCP-Scope ) i.e dhcp-scope 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.250 , all ip’s in this subnet (that is not within the dhcp-scope) is never “leased” to anyone , the static device will never ask the dhcp-server for an ip-number … if im not wrong

edit: not “have to” above, but for convenience , the dns/wins/hostname or whatever should solve the communication, even after dhcp-reboot

@davel4wa
You could use a “lan” dns, as most of the (not-configurable) have a “default” hostname , which probably everyone “rename” there i not much to do (with these devices), other than maybe an “internal” dns, where you add both the “orig-name” and desired name, mapped to it’s MAC , in my router i can manually assign ip on mac-level

Dunno if that solve your issue, im new here, so i’ve just experienced this (anoying issue) a few times :slight_smile: … thou now im up in 24 wifi-device, just plugged in (renamed in router, and "same name in HA) , but no dns yet either , but obviously, i might reconsider, trying either with a dns or this “feature” in my router

sorry to jump in on this rthread but it might be related. I’m having problems with my HA installation on a nuc. I’m running 2022.5.5. I’m having problems with the stability of my environment so I set up a reservation on the router based on the MAC address returned from an arp -a after pinging haas from a Windows pC.

After the next rebot, the IP address was not available and when I checked the router, a different DHCP address was assigned. Apparently, the last octets of the MAC address changed. I verified this by rebooting a few times and each time I rebooted the last octet of the MAC address incremented by 1 each time. At this point, I set a static IP adress and the environment was stable for a few days until I updated HACS and rebooted the system.

Now the network does not come up and I am getting errors stating:

.... rtl_txcfg_empty_cond == 0 (loop 42, delay 100).
.... rtl_txcfg_empty_cond == 0 (loop 42, delay 100).
.... rtl_rtx_empty_cond == 0 (loop 42, delay 100).

Is anyone else expereincing this or have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Check that you have the latest drivers for your ( realtech) NIC, on your NUC

Thanks for the prompt reply,

I think the driver is good. I’ve been doing more troubleshooting. I went in and removed the static IP inromation and changed ipv4.method from manual to auto:

nmcli> set ipv4.method auto

I saved the confguration and did an nmcli > print to make sure it is all good. after refreshing the netowrk DHCP using

ha> network update enp2s0 --ipv4-method aut0 --ipv6-method auto

I got a new iP adress and yet another new MAC address, but everything seems to be working again, (for now.)

The first mac address I got ended in C2, now the last octet is C8. I did another reservation on my home router but im not sure that will help.

ok,well if it keeps “playing” with you, read these:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=258867

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209839

A Mac-Address are not suppose to change, unless you are masking it(Iphone-ways) so something is wrong …