WTH we only have round shaped zones?

a little bit late to the party but yes i was about to request this when i saw a 2y/o topic!
Cheers for the many people that want this too and have been around longer then i have.

This component break my HA install.
This is the second time today now my HA goes down after installing this through HACS.

Are you talking about my repo?
If so it isn’t component, just code to show what is going on, for someone who have more time, powerwill and enthusiasm.

@Misiu hi, is it merged to core?

Sadly no. I’ve created an architecture discussion: Allow zone to be a polygon · home-assistant/architecture · Discussion #1014 · GitHub and even an initial PR: Allow zone to be a polygon by Misiu · Pull Request #105729 · home-assistant/core · GitHub but I don’t see much interest.

1 Like

:frowning:

It would be great if backend will handle it, it is problematic to make some hacks and later to update HA.

Frontend can be done in multiple ways even via HACS, as long as backend allows for such zones without rewriting all the stuff over and over again.

1 Like

Another plus for implementing polygon zone.
Also it is false that circles are easier to implement for geofence. In coding, it is easier to implement a rectangular geofence (top left and bottom right coordinates).