WTH, why is HA updating everyday?

Yeah, I fully agree this should be part of Home Assistant core, however, I understand the development team isn’t infinite, so they have to choose every day between a very important thing and another very important thing… I will love if the choose first things that cannot be solved by the community, even when the community’s solution isn’t the best.

1 Like

I fixed it for you. :wink: :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks for this WTH @phd62 - I was about to post something similar! I find there’s the new release each month (which is great, lots of blog and YT coverage) but I know that when I update it there’ll immediately be more updates almost every day after that for a week or so! Lots of the updates seem very minor and I don’t understand why they’re released so quickly, couldn’t there just be a new release each month as per the existing schedule then a bugfix release a couple of weeks later rather than this continual stream of releases? I appreciate it’s perhaps just my need to feel ‘up to date’ but I find it tricky when there’s just the continuing stream like this!

The new release can come with bugs. Some people are affected by those bugs, some aren’t.
If you are not affected by the bugs you probably will be OK about waiting 2 weeks for a fix, but pretend you are critically affected by one of the bugs and a fix is already implemented… You probably will ask for that fix ASAP, no?

3 Likes

And remember you are not forced to update when a new update is available. You can just ignore it or, if you don’t want the orange badge in your screen, just click at “Skip” and that is gone. You can eve automate this.
This is cool! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

You’re all over the place.

1. You want more updates
  2. You feel insecure about updates
  3. You’re OCD and want to check for updates all the time

I think what you’re saying is you need a psychiatrist. I’m not sure there is an integration for that yet.

1 Like

I just had a personal feeling, that perhaps minor updates could be grouped …
I wanted to point the question, and I see people are interested in it. I am happy having done it, this discussion much interested me.
I very well know there are pros and cons for any solution, updating a widely shared software is not easy.
I tried to mention some, perhaps that made my question unclear.
Anyway, the answer is up to everybody, not black or white.

BTW Thanks for taking care of my mental health. My wife says too, “you geeks are all crazy”. Perhaps I should seriously consider that point :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I agree for bugs, but lots of the updates seem to be non bug ones so I’m not sure why they’re rushed out rather than waiting for the next release?

Except in very rare occasions every patch release is a bug fix release (at least that’s the way it’s supposed to be).

And if you are affected by the bug then I’m sure you would rather have the fix for that bug sooner rather than later.

And I’ll say again, if you aren’t affected by any bugs then there is absolutely no reason to update to any future patch release. just ignore them.

3 Likes

Thanks, I can appreciate it more if bug fixes - the wording of many of them seemed to suggest otherwise but makes more sense if that’s the case :+1:

1 Like

Hmm this reminds me of the first years with smartphones. Every update of every app was manual…

Why not find a way to do updates without restarts and start auto-pushing these tiny bug-fixes? Isn’t the fact that every update needs reviewing by every single user before they commit to installing it an indication that stability is not where it should be?

Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

edit: btw if I could upvote by more than one I would, because this exact point is where HA as a platform pivots between mainstream and hobby. I love HA but I have a life and I would sometimes like to have a smarthome platform that doesn’t require attention every day.

What am I missing? I see an update is available, I check for breaking changes, I click on Install and it finishes 20 or 30 seconds later. Where am I forced to navigate through my HA system?

I used to have Auto Updates turned on, until breaking changes borked my HA installation.

As, I think, has been mentioned. To stay on the latest major version you need to update once per month, read the release notes to see if anything is likely to impact you, have a quick look at the forum and install the x.5 (or whatever) patched version.

With the mention of ‘tiny bug fixes’ automatically being deployed, you seem to be advocating a more frequent, less controlled patching regime, albeit that an individual patch would be smaller. Seems that would be needing more regular attention to check nothing’s broken, harder to identify why something stops working.

yes, that is working this way most of the time - and my statement was a bit exaggerated :slight_smile:

But having a look, if no addons (if running) or custom components - which aren’t listed in the breaking changes are still working could be an idea, if you using such…

Use a snap and let it update itself?

I disagree with this. I want every component of HA to be able to provide updates as fast as reasonably possible. You are by no means required to install them immediately.

I wonder if this is the actual core of your WTH?:

I understand that these “bubbles” can feel distracting. Would you prefer to not be informed about updates?

You can skip the update and the bubbles is gone. There’s an automation for this in an earlier post in this same thread.

No one wants or should automatically skip updates :slight_smile: Not meant in an offensive way but I was exploring the true nature of this WTH. If some users feel the constant notification that updates are available distracting, we would have something tangible that could be implemented as an improvement.

Some people wants… Maybe they shouldn’t, but they want. There’s a reason Amazon don’t ask you if you want to update your Alexa device, they just do… :wink:

Maybe an auto-update… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My point on this discussion is that, independently of someone’s preference for automatically skip updates (you can choose to skip only minor updates, or only major, etc.) or for automatically updating the system (with scheduling, auto back-up, etc), you have all the tools currently available.
It could be improved? Of course it should, anything can be improved…

But, it we had infinite developers working on Home Assistant and you tell me everything people is asking for on the hundreds of WTH will be implemented in a couple of months, of course I would vote for this WTH… but that is not the case…
The development team will prioritize something, always, and hopefully is not something we can solve by ourselves in pretty easy ways.