WTH why is HACS not standard part of HA

Thanks for being so friendly and receiving my idea so gratefully!

3 Likes

It takes 2 to tango

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Sorry I forgot to mention you personally. I really liked your

It made me feel heard and appreciated. You are all so friendly here!

2 Likes

It was friendly until you refused to listen, yet our response to that is “bad”

So, I’m coming up with this idea. You say “not going to happen”. Who’s not listening here?

You.

We know how the devs feel about this proposal, and have told you repeatedly. You don’t seem to be able to accept that.

You shouldn’t organize a “Month of WTH” if you know beforehand that you are only going to consider ideas you like and are going to dismiss everything else.

I did hear you say “not going to happen”. I tried to argue about it. You couldn’t come up with good arguments. And now you’re telling me I’m not listening. As if I’m a spoiled kid that just needs to listen. Really. This is not how a friendly community should treat its users.

4 Likes

We’re not dismissing your idea (no one has closed it, it’s still here and has a snowball’s chance of happening). We are simply informing you of the historical reality of the situation, which you seem unable to accept.

1 Like

Before I arrived you told multiple people that the dev’s opinions on this topic don’t matter. That’s not community-like behavior because all the paid and volunteer developers are apart of the community. So you’ll get curt responses from me when you refuse to take their opinion into consideration.

3 Likes

The month of WTH specifically points out that this is about Home Assistant. HACS is not part of home assistant core. The month of WTH also clearly states that you should not request new integrations. This falls into both of those categories. I suggest you take time to read the blog post about the month of WTH to learn the posting guidelines.

2 Likes

Not officially, maybe. But nearly all reactions were telling me what a stupid idea I had and how dare I coming up with that. Feels like dismissing.

I said that an individual developer’s preferences should be subordinate to the user experience. That’s something different than saying that “developer’s opinions don’t matter”. And I said that after the first reactions to my idea where of the “not gonna happen” type. Which is just not a nice way to react to any idea.

I regret that I have to repeat this: as an end user I don’t care whether something is officially part of the product or not! I don’t care if something is called and “add-on” or an “integration”!! I just want the product to work as smoothly as possible. And that’s why I feel so bad about this whole thread: y’all still not seem to understand what is important from a users’ perspective. You keep coming up with technical reasons and excuses about me using the wrong terminology.

Okay. I’m done with this. Feel free to use the idea or not. But don’t expect me to contribute much to the community after a treatment like this.

2 Likes

As stated multiple times. There is no choice in this. It’s not getting added. The owner of HA does not want to add it. The owner of HACS does not want to add it. Sorry.

Thanks for rubbing that in extra firmly. I really appreciate you telling me I’ve totally wasted my time and energy. That’s just what I wanted to hear. And you are totally right: no need to thank me for that.

2 Likes

You wasted your own time after replying so much. We all tried to explain it to you, and you refused to listen. No one wasted that time but you.

Wow. Try that in a conversation with a customer in a commercial company. Will get you fired on the spot. Rule 1 in any customer facing job: “The customer is always right”.

Yeah, yeah. I’m not a customer. I should be grateful that all this great stuff is maintained for free. You know what? I am grateful for that. But I can’t stand your unwillingness to even consider my idea and only defend the status quo. Again: if that’s what you want, don’t organize a “Month of WTH”.

Should you then blindly implement every suggestion? Is that what I want? No! You shouldn’t. Feel totally free to dismiss ideas. But please, consider doing that in a polite way. What about this:

“Thank you, Bart, for you idea. I can understand that you find it not logical and cumbersome that installing third party integrations, themes and custom cards is not standard functionality. We have discussed this in the past and have good reasons to keep it this way. However, we will discuss it again. Be informed though, that there is a fair chance that we decide again to keep it the way it is.”

I give you this communication advice for free. Of course you will dismiss it, because you don’t want to improve. Your loss.

3 Likes

My man, you were not polite from the beginning. Don’t ask for respect when you don’t give it yourself. My first repsonse to you was polite. You replied with this very wonderfully polite response.

Take your own advice.

I’m a enthusiastic user of HA. When asked for suggestions to improve HA, I want my ideas to be taken into consideration and not to be dismissed without good arguments. I want everyone to respect that.

1 Like

You were given good arguments that you’re dismissing. I want you to respect those arguments.

Sorry to see this escalated into a heated discussion.

If I may get back to the original point and the spirit of WTH: I agree with the unfiltered base argument, which I would differently summarize by:

It would be a huge improvement if community custom components were better supported by HA core, i.e. installation, updates and management via the HA UI.

4 Likes

Balloob has stated multiple times over the HA life that he has no intentions of supporting anything custom.

1 Like