Xcel Energy ITron Gen 5 Riva

Goto https://myenergy.xcelenergy.com/myenergy/usage-history

you can plainly see the green button download and connect options in my screenshot above.

Hi All- no idea if this is still active. I too am in Denver and have a newly installed Riva Gen 5. I found this link and went with The Smart House video here: Tracking Utility Meters with SDR // MeterMon & RTL-SDR - YouTube. He leverages Metermon at https://github.com/seanauff/metermon. The RTL_SDR was purchased at amazon. I now have it setup on a PI4 sending data to MQTT and receiving Gas and Electrical data. No water yet. I seem to be getting a bunch of different Gas ID’s but am consistently getting SCM+ Electrical data from the same ID. Unfortunately I can’t match it to my meters MANY numbers but will continue to play.

Unfortunately, since moving to the Riva Gen 5 the SDR method no longer works in my experience.

Agree w/ navet – unfortunately @Tarzan84 you’re probably pulling all of your neighbor’s meters that haven’t cut over to the new Riva Gen 5.

Hey thanks, I had blocked it apparently.

Since they only provide the data to specific companies there’s no way to interface directly with this api (too bad). To make the “green button” work you’d have to authenticate with their SAML implementation then download, but this direction always fails at some point which is why home assistant in general discontinued web scraping.

Hey all! I have been following this thread and others like it since many providers are using smart meters. I too live within the xcel energy region. Today, I sent an email to their greenbutton API team essentially requesting that customers like you and me could be a vendor in the same way these 3rd party companies can. I recommend you all do likewise and let them know this is something that would benefit all parties mutually to be better stewards of our resources and save energy.

Email is here: [email protected]

4 Likes

There’s now something called the “Xcel Energy Launchpad” which appears to be able to open the meters to one’s own wifi network and open data to “a wide range of energy tools provided by Xcel Energy and third party developers.”

Only problem is, like pretty much all my experiences with Xcel’s websites, the site is buggy and is throwing an “Authorization header cannot be null” error when trying to initialize the service/tool(s).

Maybe others have had success?

Where do you see this at after you login?

Welp. Again typical to Xcel… I thought “well maybe the error will go away if I logout and log back in again…”

So I logged out and logged back in again and now the “Xcel Energy Launchpad” signup vanished like a fart in the wind.

Now trying this: Xcel Energymy.xcelenery.com/s/forms/sdk-access

I requested access and received confirmation within 1-day. Now, if I only knew what to do with this access…

From what I’ve read so far, this development is very early and does not yet connect to actual meters.

“A meter must be provisioned with WIFI creds and client cert IDs (the ids of certs that the meter will accept sessions with) as you might have presumed. This is all done via backend services that Xcel and Itron manage. Itron and Xcel had a launch conference where these details were explained in regards to Xcel Meters. Essentially an app must provide users instructions on how to go their Xcel account and provision their meter to work with the app.”

I signed up and was given access within 24 hours as well. sadly though I am not a developer and have no idea what I am looking at. There is a local sdk with some C+ libraries and a cloud SDK with a number of python files. Looks like the cloud sdk uses MQTT to publish energy data

The goal of this Cloud API is to provide
a quick and easy way for you to publish Itron Meter Data,
via MQTT, to the cloud.

You can see how to publish meter data to the cloud
by looking at the following samples:

HelloMeterPubAWS.py - MQTT Publish to AWS IoT Hub
HelloMeterPubAzure.py - MQTT Publish to Azure IoT Hub
HelloMeterPubMosquitto.py - MQTT Publish to Mosquitto

Im not gong to post them since they were shared on gitlab but there is a slide deck that shows how all this is set to work, SDK explanations and how to deploy to a rpi.

Jumping on the thread because I too just got the new Riva Gen 5 (Denver metro) and can no longer pull in readings with rtlamr/metermon. I had found the Energy Launchpad mentioned earlier and submitted the info to connect the meter to my WiFi network. Just got the email this morning saying that my enrollment was confirmed:

Congratulations!

Your enrollment in Xcel Energy Launchpad has been confirmed and you are now able to utilize or connect your eligible in-home devices to your smart meter over your Wi-Fi network. Third party services may not be available at this time.

To manage your enrollment, visit your Billing Accounts in My Account. You will be able to manage your smart meter connection, enroll in eligible services once available, and add authorized devices.

Thank you for your participation in Xcel Energy Launchpad.

I confirmed the meter was connected at this Xcel page and also confirmed the meter has an IP assigned by my network. It doesn’t respond to pings but there is an open port at 8081 that I had no luck connecting to. That same Xcel page has the option to add new devices, maybe there is something there:

Did you look over the repository?

Long time reader first time caller here. Just signed up for access to launchpad. Have not been granted but was invited to this GitLab repo. I’m not skilled at figuring out what to do with this but wanted to share with the community in case this helps further progress. If this is obvious, apologies but didn’t see it mentioned in prior posts.

https://gitlab.com/xcel-energy-launchpad

Hi –

I also signed up for the SDK, was approved within 24h and was able to add my iTron meter to my home wifi network successfully. I am not a developer, but, the documentation and sample python code seems pretty robust as previously mentioned. I am happy to help test to the extent someone can have a look.

Just requested access. Looks like connecting the meter to local WiFi and the SDK access are separate steps, both associated with the Xcel Energy Launchpad. The link to the SDK request form in this post is also broken. Here is the correct link: http://my.xcelenergy.com/s/forms/sdk-access

What was the process that you used to get your meter on your home network? I was approved for the SDK but I’m not really sure of the next steps.

I don’t remember exactly how, but this might be a good place to look: https://my.xcelenergy.com/MyAccount/s/meters-and-devices/manage-meters-and-devices

Where is the launch pad found once you login? I requested access to the gitlab repo but I can’t find anything within the portal that has anything to do with launchpad. Wondering if us country folk aren’t ready for this yet which would be sad lol. I live in CO but down in the San Luis Valley