Xiaomi Aqara "new" tilt/shock/vibration sensor not showing up on hass.io

Hi folks,

as this is my first post on the blog, i’ll start by sending out a huge thanks to the community! I have been using hass.io for few months now, and I like it a lot as it helps me bridge between the various HA platforms I use (smartthings, homekit, xiaomi). I have been also testing the new lovelace UI in the past couple of days, and I admit I find it easier to set up - finally I don’t need to restart hassio every time I need to make a change to the UI :slight_smile:

Being pretty much a Xiaomi fanboy, I couldn’t help buying the latest toy they released - the new “international” motion/vibration sensor (this). I was initially planning to use it on the doorphone, and create an automation so that anytime the doorphone is rang, the Mi gateway would plan an additional doorbeel on the other side of the house - I miss it quite often :sweat_smile:
After some test, I gave up as the vibration from the doorphone was too low and the sensor wouldn’t capture it. So I then moved it to the washing machine and decided I would use it to monitor if it’s running or not.

Anyway… I added it to the Xiaomi gateway easily as usual, together with a few more sensors I bought (door/window, leak sensor, etc…), then restarted hassio… then re-restarted hassio… then re-re-restarted… but it just won’t show up.
I then went to read the “components” section for Aqara (this) and I noticed such sensor, or better the features it has (shock, tilt, vibration), aren’t listed.

Did I infer correctly this isn’t presently supported? Is there any plan, as far as anybody knows, to extend the support of this new sensor on hass.io?

Thank you very much in advance for any feedback :slight_smile:

Support for the sensor is going to be added, check this post for more info Xiaomi potential new devices (Aqara, EigenStone).

I did search before creating the topic, but I couldn’t find anything - I’ll definitely follow that topic and github as well!

Thanks gerard33 !! :heart_eyes:

New sensor is implemented now, but I can’t see it. It’s correctly added to mihome app but not in hass.

I have the same problem. Can see vibration sensors in mihome but not in home assistant. So, is this an issue or are we doing something wrong. People using deconz are getting the sensors in HA I have heard. Can someone with deconz confirm?

It should be in the next release. If you want it now you can overwrite the files from github found here:

I’ve just done that but haven’t tested. According to this it does work:

Yup! Docs say it should be in 0.80 but it isn’t. And it works great for my garage door since I can’t use a reed switch. This is what I did and it works flawlessly.

- platform: template
sensors:
  garage_door:
    friendly_name: Garage Door
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.coordination_158d0002a923d5.state.split(",")[0] | int  < 40 }}'
    icon_template: >-
        {%- if states.sensor.coordination_158d0002a923d5.state.split(",")[0] | int < 40 -%}   
        mdi:garage-open
        {%- else -%}
        mdi:garage
        {%- endif -%}

I also notice it exposes an activity sensor which I assume means the greater the number the greater the activity. It also exposes a tilt value which I could have also used I guess to detect the garage door open. But the coordinate sensor seems to provide a big variance so that is what I used.

Can somebody explain what each sensor is representing?
I have:

binary_sensor.vibration_158d000xxxxxx
sensor.bed_activity_158d000xxxxxx
sensor.coordination_158d000xxxxxx
sensor.tilt_angle_158d000xxxxxx
1 Like

I didn’t had enough time to use it with HA, but a few days ago I added one vibration sensor to my gateway and sniffed the packets sent to HA to try to understand what the sensor is capable of doing. Based on that it seems that it reports: vibration (on/off) when it’s touched/vibrated, coordination as 3-axis values when you move/rotate it and final_tilt_angle value which I supposed is the vertical angle. If you drop it, it will report status free_fall. I saw a few times it report “bed activity” but don know exactly what you need to do.

I think bed activity is how severe the vibration is. If you put it under your bed the thoery is it can tell you how restless and from that stages of sleep.

yes, that’s nice, but i need to know what is the meaning of the numbers i’m getting.
All i saw till now in bed activity is 8.0 and 17.0. What units is it? what do they mean?

I’m wondering on how to use it in an automation because sensor state is always off…

Check in MI home if you see sensor events there.
If yes, try rebooting hass.
For me the sensor works 100%, updating both coordination, tilt, and bed activity (don’t know what is it …), automation works as well (using as security sensor for my bike)

Could you show me an example of your automation please?

Well a value of 17 Is pretty obvious :smiley: