Xiaomi devices semi-randomly not triggering

Today, something add happened. most of my Xiaomi motion sensors stopped responding. Not showing as “unavailable”, instead they would just not trigger.

Some would trigger, some would not. Same for xiaomi door/window sensors.

I tried power cycling the gateway (I’ll get around to using something else as soon as I decide on ZHA vs zigbee2mqtt), and then some that wouldn’t trigger before would, while others still wouldn’t, and a few that worked before stopped working.

I have disabled internet access to my gateway through my router setup. I tried opening the Mi Home app (had to enable internet access for it to find the gateway), and saw a firmware update. I updated, and saw that they were shown as “offline” in the Xiaomi app, but not in HASS. After updating, it would again be slightly different, some would work that hadn’t before, etc.

It might be a Xiaomi issue, not HASS (just weird that HASS shows them as available, just not triggering?). However, some of the ones “unavailable” in the Xiaomi app still trigger. So maybe not?

In any case, has anyone seen anything like this? Or have any idea how to fix?

EDIT: I’ve noticed that my old Xiaomi Mi devices have not failed, I’ve only noticed the newer Xiaomi Aqara devices not working. And I’ve been using this setup for years, and with the current number of devices for almost a year,

does the hub still connect in HA? (Cannot connect to Xiaomi gateway)

Does the light on the hub switch?

I’ve had issues where my wifi has dropped out briefly and the HA/HUB connection has failed.

The hub connected, and I could see state changes in HASS for a few of the motion sensors/door_window sensors (that are connected to the hub).

I tried rebooting everything (router, access point, Xiaomi hub, computer running HASS, Hue bridge, etc.), and after doing that, almost all Xiaomi devices were back online.

A few still didn’t respond, but contrary to before, I could reconnect them by pressing the physical button on them.

I’m not sure it’s solved, I’ll have to check again when I’m back from work, but for now, it seems like a full power cycle of HASS machine, all routers/APs, and all ZigBee bridges/hubs has helped.

Maybe it’s interference? I do have two Zigbee networks (Xiaomi, Hue), and (3 x 2) 2.4GHz Wi-Fi networks (three routers/APs, all broadcasting both a “regular” and a “guest” 2.4GHz signal, and I did move at few wifi devices just before the issues started). I did try to avoid overlapping channels (I did spread them out, and Xiaomi is running on ZigBee channel 25, but I don’t know which channel Hue is running on). If so, just another reason to switch to ZHA or zigbee2mqtt…

i am facing the same problem now. Thanks for your pointers i will try and reboot everything. i am reluctant in hard resetting the gateway but that maybe my last resort. i will then have to find the key as i believe hard reset will revoke current one. i also recently installed Xiaomi’s mesh router and the channel interference may be the cause for me too. you were explicit about your gateway’s channle how and where do you find that and can you change that?

I’m sorry, but I can’t remember. I’ve since moved to using a ConBee II stick (so no Xiaomi or Hue bridge).

That said, I think it shows the ZigBee channel in the Xiaomi app (same place you find the key to make the HASS integration). I just can’t remember if I changed it, or it just was channel 25 already, and I rearranged my WiFi channels around it.

Yes thanks for the prompt response. Yes i found it there in special developer info window (tapping 3 times)
however it shows the channel as 11 which is a surprise. I believe its quite a common channel. I cant convince my neighbours to not use this channel. I will reset the gateway to see if it goes back.

A few more questions. can you kindly tell me how your experience with the conbee stick has been? did you manage to interface all xiaomi zigbee sensors? removing the need for aqara gateway? and can you control the channel for conbee?

Confusion here : are you talking about Zigbee channel or Wifi channel ? even if they act on the same frequency (2.4Ghz), zigbee et wifi channels are not the same. They do however overlap ! So take care. :slight_smile:

Thanks again. I was talking about both. My zigbee gateway was on 11. And i thought it will conflict with my wifi ones. Nonetheless. I hard reset my gateway and it seems to have resolved the issue. Thankfully i did not have to pair my sensors again and even integration with Hassio dint break. But the issue has been resolved for now. Appreciate your help…