Xiaomi Universal IR vs Broadlink RM Mini 3 for best compatibility with Hass.io

Hi all!

I’m looking to get an IR transmitter to control TV’s and other devices and found two that have Home Assistant components:

• Xiaomi Universal IR Remote Controller
  • Broadlink RM Mini 3
  • Broadlink RM pro+

Are there any advantages/limitations to using one over the other with Home assistant. They seem to be doing the same thing but hoping to get some feedback or suggestions from community before investing in one for each room.

Thanks~!

I have a Broadlink RM3mini which works perfectly with HassIO and was really easy to set up. I have used one of the fantastic custom_components by @Vassilis which works great for controlling my non-smart amplifier.

I have been really amazed by the range and power of the RM3mini too. When I expected the signal to be blocked by a couch that had been moved one day I was stunned to find that it must have bounced it off the wall or ceiling and still managed to turn my amp on!

I can’t comment on the other hardware options as I haven’t used them.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks. I’ll go for Broadlink, but I think I have some RF remoted for LED lights, so I guess I shoudl get the Broadlink RM pro+ since it supports RF.

I have read though that the RM pro+ does not support every RF devices such as certain plugs - or does using it with HA solve this problem?

Hmm, I did not know, and I doubt HA would change that. I might have to do a bit more reasearch

I didnt had a good experience with the mini, but I also didnt put too much time on it. I was using an orvibo, bought a mini, didn like it and then got a xiaomi (and liked it!). On this limited period with the mini it seems that some times it worked and sometimes not. I also like the style of the xiaomi component with its “commands” instead of using scripts and calling broadlink.send_packet. But maybe this is just a matter of taste :-).