Xiaomi Vibration Sensor Use Cases

Could you elaborate on that? How is it mounted and how are your automation set up?

I have one in the cushion of my sofa, you never sit perfectly still so the changes it picks up are a trigger to turn on the living room lights when the sun is below the horizon.

Have tried to change the sensitivity without much luck I think, not sure how to confirm what it is set to at the moment.

2 Likes

Sensor is placed in a pillow, and any change of state is triggering ā€˜sleep_timeā€™ scene.
Obv You should consider more variables like: time range etc , cause for an example my cat like to trigger sleep mode at 12am :japanese_ogre:

2 Likes

Hello!! I have the same sensor, there is a way to do only one trigger for each sensor?
Because the sensor have 2 state, vibration or tilt, I have 10 of this sensor so I need to do 20 triggerā€¦
Thanks a lot
Stefano

I had spares laying around and implemented this. Works great so far.

I got one on underneath my bedside table. If I tap the table twice it will toggel the light in the bedroom on or off

13 Likes

Hi!

Would you mind sharing your code for this?
Are you using an automation, template etc?

Thanks a lot!

// Peter

I bought a xiaomi vibration sensor with the intention of using it as a way of detecting if the drier was running / finished and sending alerts. It failed miserably for this, and after a few months of not finding a use for it we now use it as a miscellaneous security tag.

I have an input boolean set in home assistant that when enabled, and the tag is touched or moved in any way, it triggers an alert to my phone. I can turn on or off the input boolean with google assistant, so I can say aloud ā€œok google turn on the security thingā€ or whatever and this arms it.

It doesnā€™t get used too often, but in recent weeks Iā€™ve used it as a notifier for the letter box a few times (the xiaomi sensor has blutak on the back all the time now), Iā€™ve been putting it on the side gate to be alerted when one of the kids comes home with their bike, and I suspect it may get more use in future now that we have a cat.

1 Like

Hello, owners of this sensor :slight_smile:

Could anyone tell me whether this sensor is suitable on doors to detect loud + hard knocking?

Iā€™ve read there are thieves who knock on peopleā€™s front doors while observing the house, if they donā€™t see any activity, they mark it as a target.
My idea is to have this sensor on the inside of the door, set to high sensitivity. If no one is home and knocking is detected, then turn on a few bedroom lights at night.

Iā€™ve just recently installed it on my washing machine. The washing program is pretty distinctive, the ends all have quite a bit of vibrations to get the water out of the clothes. What I do is using a history statistics sensor in count mode, if there are 5 vibrations reported in the last 10 minutes I trigger an automation that delays another 15min (usually the machine has a couple of minutes after the vibrations before it finishes) and then gives me a push notification on my phone.

@wyx087 I guess it depends how rigid your door is and how hard you knock.

2 Likes

I have two attached to two vacuum robots without HA integration. I display status and measure cleaning time.

Hello, I just read this thread. my first thought was the ā€œwashing machineā€ but thatā€™s the classic. The second thought ā€¦ suppose you have a wooden staircase, then you attach a vibration sensor to level 1, and the second vibration sensor to level 7. Through the status query you can now see whether you have gone up or down the stairs.

2 Likes

Can you share some code of this? Iā€™m also trying to get this to work, but without successā€¦

Iā€™ll copy paste the code here somewhere this week :slight_smile:

Automation:

- id: '1580327578161'
  alias: Alert Wasmachine Finished
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - above: '4'
    entity_id: sensor.wasmachine_vibrations
    platform: numeric_state
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.wasmachine_programma
    state: 'off'
  action:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.wasmachine_programma
    service: input_boolean.turn_on
  - delay: 00:15:00
  - data:
      data:
        tag: 891
    service: notify.mobile_app
  - data:
  - entity_id: input_boolean.wasmachine_programma
    service: input_boolean.turn_off

Sensor:

- platform: history_stats
    name: Wasmachine Vibrations
    entity_id: sensor.vib_wasmachine_action
    state: 'vibration'
    type: 'count'
    end: '{{ now() }}'
    duration:
      minutes: 10

That should give you a hand in creating your own :slight_smile:

1 Like

So after a vibration is detected, 15mins later you already receive a notification?

If 5 vibrations are detected within 10 minutes, the automation is triggered, I then wait 15min because after the spinning, the machine needs about 10 or so minutes before it is actually finished with the program.

I will try and see if it also works for my washing machine. Thanks for the info!

I have tried to use the vibration sensor on both my washer and dryer with no luck. (vibrations are strong enough to trigger the sensor)
I have increased the sensitivity to the max also and its still not enough
Im now contemplating pulling the washing machine apart to mount the sensor directly to the barrel as I can imagine there will be a lot more movement there than on the exterior of the machineā€¦ has anyone tried this approach?

anyone using this to detect wind and close awnings ?

1 Like