Yale YRD220 Digital Lock with Zigbee module on ZHA - battery dies in 2-3 days

Just wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues. I have a Yale YRD220 digital lock and have purchased the optional Zigbee module. Without the Zigbee module installed, the lock’s batteries last for about 6 months. With the Zigbee module installed, the batteries are dead within days.

I have the lock paired with Home Assistant using ZHA and a Raspbee hat. Pairing works flawlessly and it operates as expected, except for the battery issue.

I don’t know if the flaw is with the lock, its Zigbee module, the Raspbee hat or if it’s some configuration issue in Home Assistant.

Would anyone have an idea about where to start working out the problem?

I have 4 of the YRD210 locks, and I’m using the HUSBZB1-1 adapter. After 5 months battery levels are 70-80%.

Previously I had a YRD220 but the keypad kept acting up. It seemed like when the weather/temperature changed a lot it would not work consistently.

Have you checked the RSSI and LQI numbers? Maybe it is having a hard time communicating, causing it to stay awake.

ZHA is reporting the following numbers:

LQI: 255
RSSI: -50

I can see how temperature might affect the keypad. In my case that is less of a concern as I’m in an apartment building and the door is internal.

I have a Yale 226 with the Zigbee Module and my batteries last 6 months. I have the HUSBZB1-1 adapter.

With the discussion here, the conclusion was that the Zigbee module is the wrong type.

Do you still have these YRD210 locks? How do you manage the user PINs?

I do still have the locks, but I don’t use that feature. Sorry.

1 Like

No worries! thank you for the follow up. I have returned the lock, as the remote user PIN management is a must.

Just FYI, I am seeing fine battery life with my yale zigbee lock and zigbee2mqtt.

My guess is that the real root cause is EMF/EMI/RMI interference on for the Zigbee Coordinator adapter which causes the Zigbee messages to need to be resent/retransmitted and thus quickly draining the battery. See → Zigbee networks: how to guide for avoiding interference + optimizing using Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get best possible range and coverage

Suggest both adding more Zigbee Router devices and also buy an external Zigbee Coordinate USB adapter instead and connecting that via a long USB 2.0 extension cable to a USB 2.0 port or a powered USB 2.0 hub, (do not connect it to a USB 3.0 port unless using a USB 2.0 cable, and even then it is better to use a USB 2.0 port or a powered USB 2.0 hub).