Year of the Voice - Chapter 5

I’m probably having other issues because I can’t trigger the new intents even from the text prompt😢

I get even less!

EDIT: after waiting a while I got:

EDIT 2: more tests…

There’s much to unpack here, but I’ll do it in order.

1. Nevermind has a bug, it shuts down the pipeline and you have to restart the client (companion app, ESP device, whatever) to make it work again. That’s why your second sentence didn’t work and why it displayed an error “after a while”, when the internal client timed out.
  2. “What is the temperature today” is not a supported sentence, and, if you ask me, it’s a bit generic and vague. What would you expect it to do? Tell you about the weather? The temperature in the room you’re in?
  3. “What is the weather today” is not supported because of today. We had’t thought of that phrasing. I’ll add it.
  4. I don’t even know what matched “what is the temperature” as, again, it’s way too vague. I’m guessing it could be an entity called/aliased “Temperature” in your setup
  5. “Is the alarm armed” - the alarm_control_panel domain is not yet supported, but we can definitely add that, at least for querying if not for control. Good idea, thanks!

Obviously I haven’t commented on the sentences that work.

2 Likes

if the new commands aren’t working for you …

… did you remember to Restart Home Assistant after setting up your new satellite device ?

Seems to have made a huge difference for me :wink:

1 Like

I realise that the “what’s the temperature” was very vague but it was a repeat of what the previous person had tried so I was curious.

“What is the temperature in the kitchen” I thought might have worked since I have a sensor in that area.

Not sure if this was a reply to me, but my screen shots were just from a web browser, not using a satellite

Unfortunately, that sentence works only with climate entities for now.

It took me a while to figure that out… :stuck_out_tongue:
“What is the temperature in the bathroom?” - does not work
“What is the bathroom temperature?” - works as expected

Also took me a while to figure out why I could not open the ‘blind’ in ‘Harry’s Room’… because Assist calls it a ‘shade’ :man_facepalming:

However just tried the new wyoming-satellite and it works very well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I have today repurposed my test RasPi 3B to a Chapter 5 satellite with wyoming-satellite and wyoming-openwakeword. Very straight-forward using the tutorial.

• it seems to be working well, but of course still lots of testing
  • “nevermind” has to be the whole command. “oops … nevermind” will time out with no benefit :wink:

I was using HermesLedControl for that with Rhasspy. Easy to make fun patterns with all the LEDs on the reSpeaker 4-mic HAT :wink: so I’m wondering how easy to change it from MQTT to Wyoming. Didn’t you previously write a document for that ?

Did you get that running together with your pi3 if i understood that right?

Yes, one of my voice assistant satellites is a RasPi 3A with reSpeaker 4-mic HAT, running Rhasspy and HermesLedControl.

Seeed made at least 3 different 4-mic devices with very similar confusing names :frowning:

I was particularly impressed that they made these devices, made a driver and some demo software … and then abandoned them. When I bought mine their support was advising customers to use RasPi OS that was over 2 years old because their firmware wouldn’t run on newer OS versions :frowning: The hardware has 2 or 4 mics, and the demo programs (no source code available) apparently can use all 2- or 4- mics … but their device driver only uses one mic. They have provided NO support.

1 Like

Ah, too sad with the one-mic limitation, and the lack of current support. I do have the HAT version laying around, from my try-outs with Snips a few years ago, on a Pi3b.
Was originally hoping I could potentially revive that combination with the new HA satellite solution, but doesnt sound like it then…

Oh, someone seems to have taken matters into their own hand recently:

1 Like

I have an area called ‘Kitchen’ and a device called TRV Kitchen that exposes a climate entity with the area set accordingly. When I ask ‘What is the temperature in the kitchen’ I get the same error as above - unexpected error during intent recognition. Same for ‘What’s the Kitchen temperature’ and ‘what’s the TRV Kitchen temperature’. How can I troubleshoot this?

Not what I was saying. They do work OK, and I don’t think there will be any problem upgrading my RasPi + ReSpeaker satellite to chapter 5.

I was moaning that the Seeed reSpeaker devices don’t live up to their potential, and so don’t justify their price tag.

Yes, one of their users, HinTak has been updating the driver to work with newer RasPi OS kernels … but he does not attempt to improve the functionality of the driver beyond this.

1 Like

How can we do that, with a m5 atom echo ?

1 Like

Set the device area (device page > pencil top right > Area)

Unfortunately area awareness doesn’t seem to be working for me. One of my LIFX bulbs is in Study, and my Wyoming device (a RasPi 3 running wyoming-satellite and wyoming-openwakeword) is set to in Study.

However the log from the device shows that it couldn’t understand “turn off the light” unless I called it “study light”.

Dec 16 22:42:48 HA-voice-2 run[1273]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 22:42:53 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Streaming audio
Dec 16 22:42:53 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 22:42:53 HA-voice-2 run[1275]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 22:42:59 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='transcript', data={'text': ' Turn on study light.'}, payload=None)
Dec 16 22:42:59 HA-voice-2 run[945]: INFO:root:Waiting for wake word
Dec 16 22:42:59 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 22:42:59 HA-voice-2 run[1277]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 22:42:59 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='synthesize', data={'text': 'Turned on light', 'voice': {'name': 'en_GB-alan-low'}}, payload=None)
Dec 16 22:43:00 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 22:43:00 HA-voice-2 run[1280]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:02 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Streaming audio
Dec 16 23:18:02 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 23:18:02 HA-voice-2 run[1312]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:08 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='transcript', data={'text': ' Turn off the light.'}, payload=None)
Dec 16 23:18:08 HA-voice-2 run[945]: INFO:root:Waiting for wake word
Dec 16 23:18:08 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='synthesize', data={'text': "Sorry, I couldn't understand that", 'voice': {'name': 'en_GB-alan-low'}}, payload=None)
Dec 16 23:18:08 HA-voice-2 run[1314]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:08 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 23:18:09 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 23:18:09 HA-voice-2 run[1317]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:14 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Streaming audio
Dec 16 23:18:14 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 23:18:14 HA-voice-2 run[1319]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:19 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='transcript', data={'text': ' Turn off study light.'}, payload=None)
Dec 16 23:18:20 HA-voice-2 run[945]: INFO:root:Waiting for wake word
Dec 16 23:18:20 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service
Dec 16 23:18:20 HA-voice-2 run[1321]: Playing raw data 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
Dec 16 23:18:20 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Event(type='synthesize', data={'text': 'Turned off light', 'voice': {'name': 'en_GB-alan-low'}}, payload=None)
Dec 16 23:18:21 HA-voice-2 run[945]: DEBUG:root:Connected to snd service

Thanks, that’s what I did, even though there’s no information written down anywhere.