Year of the Voice - Chapter 5

Thanks to all of the Voice Assist team members / contributors. This project really got me engaged into Home Assistant at home even more.

Happy Holidays everybody and have a sparkling 2024! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I have a couple of old Pi Zero (version 1)'s sitting unused. Above it’s noted that the v2 can be used as a voice satellite, any idea if the v1 can as well? or are they not powerful enough?

They are powerful enough for basic functionality but will be unable to perform local wake word detection. This means it will rely on Home Assistant for wake word detection like ESPHome currently does.

Ok cool. Thanks Paulus.

Thank you great people!
Box works good.
Ordered pi and recommended hat. Super excited to ditch Alexa everywhere! :)))

Two quick questions:

1. How do I use area awareness in custom intent_script?
  2. Where to get Pi satellite firmware? :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

1 Like
1 Like

You’re the best!

@sparkydave, 5 days ago @synesthesiam commented over in github for homeassistant-satellite

Yes, wyoming-satellite will replace this project eventually. It’s not fully stable yet, so expect some issues.

I note in the first message above, the remote satellites link is to github for wyoming-satellite … so @formatBCE , the answer is to follow that link :wink:

Looks like i’ll have to edit my RasPi as HA Voice Assist post :frowning:

2 Likes

So is your tutorial not for the setup that was shown in the HA Year of the voice chapter 4?

Can somebody please help me find instructions how to enable the new goodies i.e. new built-in voice commands? I’m running a local pipeline which can start/stop lights and execute custom sentences however I keep getting ‘unexpected error during intent recognition’ when I check temperature, the weather or try ‘never mind’. I’m probably missing a link :slight_smile:

I think those were were listed as ‘in the pipeline’ as future updated in 2024.

I probably missunderstood this, but :slight_smile:

For Chapter 5, we’ve extended this list to include:

Great work this year!

Simplest for me would be the possibility to redirect the audio-reply (TTS) to a selected speaker (media_player) that I already have in the room. That way, I could use the ESP microphone unit I already got (but where the sound back is not sufficient in quality/volume).

5 Likes

I guess like you mentioned, there hasn’t yet been any update to the voice assistant back-end add-ons so not sure how these additional features could exist.

All of the chapter 5 commands work for me.
With the exception of the first one as I don’t have a “task list”.
I do have a “grocery list” and using “add milk to the grocery list” does work.
I am running 2023.12.2

1 Like

I just tested the shopping list voice command and can confirm this worked for me too.

I just flashed a first gen ESP32-S3-Box with the firmware from the EPShome Projects site, all went perfectly. It has been added to the ESPhome Integration page and works great but doesn’t show up in the ESPhome Dashboard. Is there something additional that needs to be done for this to occur? I’m wondering if it’s because my ESP’s are all on a separate VLAN to to HA so they don’t automatically get picked up. Is there a way to force it? This is the first time I’ve not created an ESPhome device from straight code in the ESPhome Dashboard (that I can think of)

Adoption process won’t start without working mDNS. I had same problem, but not separate VLAN, but ESPHome was set up for ping-wise status instead of mDNS. As soon as I switched that off, device appeared for adoption.

But you can flash itocally with copy-pasted code from GitHub if you want to tinker :slight_smile: