Yeelight: Unable to update bulb status: Bulb closed the connection

No probs. Apparently they’re constantly chatting with the home planet, so it would cut down on a lot of unnecessary traffic if nothing else.

I made these two things togheter:

• Blocked every bulb to go on the internet.
  • Disabled the discovery component from configuration.yaml

No more “Bulb closed connection” errors!

Please note that I had before:

discovery:
ignore
- yeelight

but it didn’t work!
I had to disable the discovery module at all.

#discovery

I have the below in my config.yaml and it ignores the Yeelights. Not sure if your indentation is incorrect or it was just the way you posted it here.

discovery: # Discover some devices automatically
  ignore:
    - yeelight

@sparkydave sorry: English is not my primary language.
I would to say that with the discovery active I had different “Unable to update the bulb status” errors but the discovery module did his job, indeed.
(And again you are right: copy/paste ruined the indentation!)

EDIT:
Nope! It started again, even with discovery disabled!
So this is not the solution.

I had this trouble before, I believe that the bulbs are overheating, I have had NO trouble since I have kept the brightness below 85%.

Try this for a short while and see if it helps.

Well, the brightness is set to 100%, but the bulb is off 95+% of time (it lights up for 2 minutes by a motion sensor near the entrance). So, I don’t think it may be overheating.

I observe this issue very infrequently - once per month or two.

I have the same issue with my two Xiaomi Ceiling Lights:

Unable to update bulb status: Bulb closed the connection.

This occurs like 3-5x a week. The connection is lost for a couple of seconds to maximum 2 minutes. After that the bulb turn itself on. Very annoying because sometimes this happens in the middle of the night.

I was experiencing the same issue every few minutes with multiple devices, including yeelight bulb and xiaomi air purfier.

I’ve accidentally fixed it by disabling nmap presence detection in my config. Problem is completely gone now.

It seems it somehow affected overall network performance. Maybe the device / software cannot handle that many simultaneous connections / such network traffic?
For reference, I’m running hass on RPI3.

is there a definitive solution to this problem?
for me it happens very often on my yeelight rgb 800 lumen with latest firmware.

Do you guys use the flux component ?

Hi. This was turning into a real problem to me. :worried: Changed the whole house to yeelight bulbs, but some groups wasnt turning on/off when pushing commands. What really solved my problems, was changing the 2.4ghz wifi, from 40mhz to 20mhz.
My log now, is so clear! :star_struck:
Screenshot%20at%20Aug%2001%2010-42-41

Hi. I thought the problem was gone forever, since i started using wifi on 20mhz. But after adding bluetooth tracker on my setup, errors started again. It looks like when adding a tracker, the issue starts.
Removed bluetooth tracker, problems gone. :worried:

Hi. Thanks for this post, i have solved the problem with Yeelight bulbs messed with bluetooth tracker.
Was using Raspberry Pi 3, on wifi. Changed to Ethernet connection, and now all error messages has gone. Switching Yeelight Bulbs (all at once, or one at a time) is fast and reliable again.
To change from wifi to Ethernet, followed this post: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/fed40532c1ab55cd887adac80aec4c8c206d4076/Documentation/network.md
In my case, removed SD card from Raspberry, inserted on a Windows PC, created a folder called CONFIG, with a subfolder called network CONFIG\network
Inside the folder network, created a file named my-network with:

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I’m running Hassio on a rpi4 connected via ethernet and the bulb has a fixed IP and internet access blocked via parental controls on the router. However, it becomes unavailable and back again precisely every 15 minutes, and sometimes remains unavailable until rebooted. Tried music mode, but it seemed to have made it worse (skipped commands from the UI, sometimes died but still appeared available).

1 Like

I am experiencing the same problem, I am getting an error message in the logs:

bulbs Unable to update device Bulb closed the connection

The devices are still available within the Yeelight app but not in home assistant and have to restart the bulbs (power off/ power on).

I got this problem after a yeelight update which integrated homekit support. After upgrade I got a persistent message that new homekit devices were found but was unable to integrate them in Hassio.

I have multiple bulbs but only a few have this problem. My bulbs have fixed IP on my network. Other people are experiencing problems with yeelights but yeelight thinks it’s a home assistant error ttps://forum.yeelight.com/t/topic/12894.

At this moment I don’t know what to do and am not able to downgrade the yeelight fw.

Hope someone can help.

I think this has nothing to do with a new firmware. I haven’t updated the firmware of the bulbs for months and I’m constantly seeing this error. I cannot say for sure, but I think this started with the HA update to 0.99.3. I was previously on 0.98.5 and I didn’t see the problems.

It looks like there is a connection problem since the bulbs have homekit support. I am experiencing problems since that update but it can also be a Hassio version update (don’t know for sure). I don’t know where to start looking for the problem and the error happens randomly on 4 of my 11 bulbs!

I am noticing the same issue now - all of a sudden ‘Bulb closed the connection.’ errors…

Yep, I have a lot of those recently. HA 0.114.3 (Running Ubuntu / HA Supervised on a NUC)

Same here on 0.114.3 running on VMM. Only E27 bulbs are out - led strips are fine.
0.114.3 and 0.114.4 has this problem for me - bulb closed connection and disappears from HA and Xiaomi / Yeelight app until power toggle. Also tried to reset, turned on mDNS, nothing else changed in meantime - running same bulb firmware 2.0.6_0065 and 1.4.2_0076 - for past 10 months I guess.
Nothing changed in my network too - same APs same hardware.
Two types bulbs are affected RGBv1 and v2
Just moved few bulbs to China server to see if this helps but since LAN control is used for all of them I don’t think this will help…